I collected a lot of swag during Comic-Con. I also have some other geeky odds and ends. These things are just gathering dust in my flat. I would also like to mark passing 1337 followers on Twitter (this happened a while ago, but better late than never) in some way. So, I’m going to give this swag away using Twitter and this blog post.
Here’s what I’m giving away to one lucky poet:
- Threadless swag: 5 buttons, discount code for $7 off an order of $18 or more, 10th anniversary postcard, 10th anniversary sticker, standard sticker sheet
- Think Geek: voucher for $10 off an order of $30 or more (See bottom of post for update)
- The Walking Dead: “Live Dead” silicone bracelet (sold first at SDCC)
- Gelaskins: discount code for 15% off an order
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: sticker sheet
- Alien: SDCC paper mask
- Dexter: temporary tattoo; looks like a bleeding cut
- Dragon Age II: SDCC promotional poster
- Hello Kitty Online: one copy of the PC game
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria: one copy of the PC game
- City of Heroes: button
- BBC America: giant Doctor Who/Being Human SDCC bag
- Viz Media: tote bag
- Dungeons & Dragons (3.5): Exemplars of Evil source book
- Dragon Quest IX: promotional brochure
- Lost: Artifacts from the Lost Encyclopedia hardcover mini book
- Guild Wars: signed art print; “Asura Warrior”
- Geek Girls: button
- Prism Comics: “Geek” rainbow button
- Grey alien “identification” card
- Scorpion lollipop
- Polyhedral 7-die set: one each of D4, D6, D8, D10, D%, D12, D20
What do you have to do to get all of this? Since most of this swag is media-related, I would like to see people express their love of geeky past times with a haiku. There are two easy steps:
- Write a haiku about your favourite geeky pop culture story, game, character, comic book, film, etc. on Twitter, and send that tweet to me (@Brinstar) in an @ reply.
- Leave a comment on this blog post with the permanent link to your Twitter haiku. To link to a single Twitter update, simply go to your profile on the Twitter website, find your post in your profile stream, and click on the date on which you posted it (e.g. 5 hours ago, 8:37 PM Jul 27th, etc.). Go to the address bar of your browser and copy and paste that URL into the comment field of this blog post, and submit your comment.
At the end of the submission period, I will select the winner based upon which haiku I like the most. The submission period will start on 29 July 2010 at 00:00 and end on 12 August 2010 at 23:59. I’ll announce the recipient of the mega swag pack on or around 17 August. If no one enters or if I don’t like any haiku, I’m just going to distribute this swag among all my (local) friends.
I’m giving this stuff away to only one winner, and sending this swag to that winner (anywhere in the world) at my own cost. I would rather not complicate my life, so that’s why I’m only going to send this stuff to one person.
Oh, to be fair to everyone, each person should only submit one haiku.
Be creative! I don’t want to restrict people to only writing about certain fandoms, but you’ll have a better chance if I’m at least somewhat familiar with it (if you choose to write about a specific IP, that is), since I’m the one choosing the winner. For example, I know very little about Red Dwarf, so I wouldn’t be able to appreciate a haiku about that as much as I would about Doctor Who.
If you have any questions, send me an email: [email protected]
Good luck and happy haiku-ing!
ETA – 21:43, 02 August 2010: Upon closer inspection of the Think Geek voucher, I noted that it expires on 13th August, which is before I announce the winner. Therefore, I will substitute this prize with a set of 7 polyhedral dice.