First Weeks With My PSP

PSP Cropped

I’ve had my PSP for a few weeks now, and I love it.

I downloaded this awesome Star Trek: The Next Generation LCARS interface wallpaper (above) from a random website.

I’ve mostly been playing Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, Patapon, and Every Extend Extra. All three are frustrating in different ways.

Castlevania is frustrating because I’m really not used to controlling a character with a whip anymore. The last Castlevania game I played was Symphony of the Night, and Alucard used a sword. Also, when you double-jump with Richter, he jumps backwards. It’s not very intuitive. His powers are much more limited than Alucard. Perhaps I was just spoiled in Symphony of the Night and after that, no Castlevania game will ever match up — which is kind of funny, because I’m playing the re-release of Rondo of Blood, which is the direct prequel to Symphony of the Night. I feel compelled to keep going, though, because I can unlock Symphony of the Night if I finish this.

In Patapon, I’m having trouble getting a proper rhythm down, and that’s pretty key for attacking. It’s a cute game, but I don’t know how much I will get into it.

I kind of don’t even understand Every Extend Extra that well at this stage, but the sparkles and shooting are entertaining.

I have Pump It Up Exceed as well, but I haven’t tried it out yet.

I do want to get Lumines eventually. When the PSP first came out years ago, I really, really wanted this game. I downloaded the PC version of Lumines when my PC wasn’t messed up, and I quite enjoyed it.

I can’t think of any other games I would like for the PSP at the moment.¬†Does anyone have recommendations for current and/or upcoming titles?

EDIT – 14 April 2009: This is a list of PSP games we currently own.

9 comments for “First Weeks With My PSP

1. Principal Tyrell
    14 April 2009 at 01:01

LocoRoco 1 and 2! Both are awesome, trust me on this!
    Also if you like Symphony of the Night you would probably love the DS Castlevania games (If you don’t already have them).

2. 14 April 2009 at 03:58

So true; amazing how alien this sentence would have felt ten years ago.

Recommendations: well, Loco Roco really is as good as people make out, and very gentle. At the other end of the spectrum, I was really impressed with God of War – it’s a short, 7-hour-or-so romp, but it’s great fun, visually fantastic, and has one probably my favourite QTEs in gaming ever. And I don’t like QTEs much. I like both the Wipeouts; Pulse is probably the more assured these days. And, from a strategy perspective, Disgaea is an even more perfect fit on the handheld than in the living room.

Maybe that helps, for a start…

3. 14 April 2009 at 13:59

I bought my PSP back in America, only days after it was released. At the time, I bought Lumines — the only good release title.

Now, 5 years on, it’s still one of the best titles available on the PSP! It’s great — but really, it’s JUST a puzzle game. It has no additional depth, unlike Patapon.

I believe the Final Fantasy Tactics game (I think that’s the title) is the other ‘killer’ PSP title, if you’re into TBS/RPGs.

4. 14 April 2009 at 16:28

On a side note, how is being down one toggle stick working out for you? I found the lack of one toggle stick to be extremely frustrating, as it threw me off pretty badly. I got so used to contolling with either a mouse/keyboard, two toggle sticks, or just a d-pad that it was odd and hard to get used to.

5. 14 April 2009 at 22:20

I haven’t had any problems with the lack of the right analogue stick/pad yet. I do find that the analogue pad is a little stiff, and my hand cramps up easily when I’m playing games that use this as the main means of control, like Every Extend Extra.

6. 14 April 2009 at 22:20

Sometimes a puzzle game being just a puzzle game is great.

7. 15 April 2009 at 08:20

Mm mm, that is a mighty fine PSP collection you’ve got there.

8. 15 April 2009 at 19:25

The control schemes on games that need it completely through me off and are not something I’m used to.

To each their own right?

9. 16 April 2009 at 07:56

Final Fantasy: Crisis Core is rather good, although more of an Action-RPG than any other FF. If you are a FF7 fan, you should definitely enjoy it ;)

Patapon is good, although “hard”, not because of the rhythm (for me), but because I find you do have to grind a lot. And it took me ages to find out how to get rid of a patapon in order to replace him with an “improved” one (Equipment screen -> press Select).

I’ll definitely go back to Patapon someday though, and then maybe Patapon 2. I wish the PSP had some more great games though, curious about the upcoming Rock Band PSP game.