Nintendo Customer Service Centre

Today I visited the Nintendo Customer Service Centre in Redmond, Washington to have oliemoon’s and her friend’s DS Lites repaired (the right shoulder buttons stopped working). I took a few pictures with my phone. I apologise if they’re a little blurry.

This is a shot of the counter towards the back of the shop:

Nintendo Customer Service Center

There are two seating areas, marked by Pikachu and Mario. Mario is closer to the entrance:

Pikachu Statue Mario Statue

You can buy Nintendo merchandise and accessories:

Nintendo Merchandise

This is a display case filled with Nintendo products. At the top, you can see hanafuda playing cards, which is what Nintendo was originally formed to create way back in 1889:

Display Case with Nintendo Products

I’m guessing this is a majong set, but I’m not really sure:

Nintendo Majong (?) Set

I think that’s a ROB at the top:

Nintendo Hardware

The customer service person was pleasant enough and efficient. Instead of repairing the DSs, Nintendo just replaced them with new ones, with a brand new one year warranty on each.

10 comments for “Nintendo Customer Service Centre

1. 7 March 2009 at 19:46

Thanks for posting the pictures, they’re neat! Yes, that’s a mahjong set.

2. 7 March 2009 at 21:16

You are correct. That is a mahjong set, something else that Nintendo has also made for years in addition to Hanafuda cards. I think a lot of their mahjong sets are supposed to be quite nice too.

3. 8 March 2009 at 01:49

You should have posted pictures of the brand new DS’s they gave you to replace mine and Doc’s! I really wonder how that is an efficient method of dealing with broken systems under warranty though…Doc’s DS is a limited edition, they’re not going to have those for time immemorial.

The display case is really cool–Pikachu N64! (I see them at Kaihou all the time and wistfully long…if only we’d won the Pikachu VCR) I kinda wanna find an excuse to go there when I get back later this year. ;-)

4. Gunch
    8 March 2009 at 08:53

Geek-Heaven. I wish I still had an NES and SNES, just for the nestolgic factor.

5. Jon Lupen
    8 March 2009 at 08:56

@Regina: I’m 99% sure that’s ROB as well. That’s some pretty convenient and timely service there. The Nintendo custer service center is pretty cool looking. I didn’t knwo such a thing existed until I read this O.O

@Oliemoon: Often times it’s cheaper and must faster to just replace something with a new one than to fix it. If you did bring in a collectable or a console they could not replace, I’m sure they would fix it for you though.

6. 8 March 2009 at 17:51

I’d be surprised if they were brand new DS’s. In my experience of warranty replacements, which admittedly, was with Nokia, not Nintendo, they’re more likely be reconditioned units.

7. 8 March 2009 at 23:46

If they are reconditioned, they must have done a really, really good job because I can’t tell the difference. They look very much brand new. There’s no sign of wear in the stylus slot (or anywhere else) or even any scratches on either of the DSs surfaces.

8. Gunthera1
    10 March 2009 at 11:00

That is such a fun place! I would have to stay out of there for the healthy of my wallet. I am already coveting those t-shirts.

9. 10 March 2009 at 13:38

I could be completely wrong, like I said, my experience is with phones, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the case was the first thing they replace.

Not that it really matters though.

10. Tim Roberts
    13 March 2009 at 13:52

The shoulder-button malfunction problem comes from dirt getting underneath and preventing the button from making a connection. I’ve had it happen to me twice before; my GBA SP did it, and I visited a local repair center who swapped my unit. After it happened again with my DS, I looked into it and found out about the dirt.

It’s very easy to fix; if you just blow the shoulder buttons with compressed air, it ought to work great again. If you don’t have any compressed air you can just put your mouth over the button and blow really hard (and ignore the awkward stares from other bus riders).