CG: Kartoffelgratin

In a previous entry, I said that I wouldn’t post more Cooking Guide experiments, but you know what? I’m going back on that statement. This DS game is incredibly useful and practical, and it deserves more attention. I enjoy using the DS game more than I would a paper cook book because it’s interactive. I also get cool achievement stamps every time I cook a dish. I have created a Food and Drink category, so you know this is serious business!

Last night I made Kartoffelgratin, a German dish from Cooking Guide. The game describes it as “a potato gratin with cheese and a creamy sauce”.

Keep in mind that I have the European version of Cooking Guide: Can’t Decide What to Eat?. The North American version is being released in late November with a new title, Personal Trainer: Cooking. Having an imported version of this title does mean that I have to deal with differences, such as measurements in the game being in metric rather than Imperial. Having lived in Britain for six years and being a fan of science, I’m not averse to the metric system. Most of my cooking tools, except for the stove and oven, do actually display metric measures. I’m only having to consult the internet to convert cooking temperatures (I’m not good enough to do it in my head!), so that’s not too bad.

These regional differences extend to a few ingredients. One of the things that I discovered in making Kartoffelgratin is that the recipe calls for double cream, and double cream does not exist in the United States natively. I hear the Americans asking, “What is double cream?” Ochef says:

Double cream is the name in Britain for a very rich cream — containing 48% butterfat. Whipping cream in this country, by contrast, contains
between 30% and 40% butterfat. Single cream in Britain is comparable to
American half and half (and may also be called pouring cream), with
between 10% and 12% fat.

The same website advises that I can make a higher fat cream on my own, but I decided not to go through that much effort, and instead used heavy cream. I think the dish turned out well, despite it being less rich than called for in the recipe:

Kartoffelgratin
The first time I made this dish, I made it “by the book” (apart from using heavy cream) so that I had a baseline standard for comparison. I am fine-tuning this recipe to better suit oliemoon’s tastes,
because she really likes this dish. Last night’s effort is actually the second time I made Kartoffelgratin. In my second effort, I increased the cheese content, increased the cream-to-milk ratio in favour of cream, and reduced the amount of pepper. It tasted good, and it was filling, but I think there are a few more tweaks I can make before it will be ready for oliemoon consumption.

11 comments for “CG: Kartoffelgratin

1. Abdiel
    12 October 2008 at 18:53

Boy do i wish to live with you!!! I know i would get fat with your food by alot! You make me wanna buy that game.

2. 12 October 2008 at 20:14

Well, I guess there’s no denying it now, is there? You are just trying to secure your grip on me! In a kind of wonderful way.

It’s okay. I don’t mind. :-D

3. 12 October 2008 at 20:49

That’s because you get (hopefully) tasty home cooked food out of the deal! ;-P

4. 13 October 2008 at 00:25

It’s interesting that double cream doesn’t exist in the US. It’s delicious. Apparently, sweets and chocolate contain less sugar in the States as well. How strange.

I shall be checking out this title.

5. 13 October 2008 at 08:33

Most double cream dishes that I’ve cooked will be fine with single cream or the whipping cream you mention above. In a recipe like gratin (or my personal favourite, tartiflette ;), it’s just like switching to semi-skimmed milk or cooking with less salt – if you’ve had it before, you’ll taste the difference but in a new dish you won’t miss a thing.

That being said, using single cream will give you a slightly runnier sauce. You could always thicken it up with cornflour if that’s a problem.

I’m pretty sure there’s a tartiflette recipe in the Cooking Guide. Give it a go, it’s soooooo tasty :)

6. Twyst
    13 October 2008 at 08:50

Aw, now i am hungry — that looks like my dad’s scalloped potatoes dish (http://www.muchmenus.com/Scalloped_Potatoes_Recipe.htm)! :D
    ‘personal trainer’? i dont want to be trained, i want it to tell me to eat yummy foods. I may have to get the EU one, for the measurements. metric ftw! (tho, everything here has both metric and imperial).

Looks delish!

7. 4thVariety
    13 October 2008 at 10:32

I am a bit puzzled here, they did mention in the game that it’s a side-order, not a meal in itself, did they?

Restaurants might serve it as a side order to red meat, while some European countries apply “the gratin treatment” to whole meals. Take out the potatoes, throw in any combination of vegtables you see fit and it should have a name already somewhere in Europe.

One solution to the double cream outside UK problem is to score some Italian “Panna”, it exceeds the fat of double-cream. Mixing Italian “Mascarpone” with cream at a ratio of around 1:1 should also yield tasty results.

8. 13 October 2008 at 14:37

Like Twyst, I’m so annoyed this game has the Personal Trainer prefix. I’ll still pick up though, as I suck and am lazy when it comes to converting metric.

The food you’re posting looks too good. Though this talk of double cream makes my lactose intolerant stomach cry out of jealousy.

9. 13 October 2008 at 19:04

@ Weefz: Ooh, thanks for the tips!

@ Twyst: Yeah it’s pretty much the same thing as scalloped potatoes. Just a different name.

@ 4thVariety: Yes, it was listed as a side dish.

@ 100littledolls: I’m actually lactose intolerant as well, but I still eat dairy.

10. 14 October 2008 at 06:50

I think you could probably get double cream at Whole Foods because I have gotten triple cream there.

Triple cream + blueberry scones = comatose delight.

Sounds yummy though. I think you should keep going with the posting theme.

11. Snowstorm
    15 October 2008 at 03:44

Like others mentioned, this usually comes as a side dish, BUT – there are some nice ways to turn it into a main course. ^^ Talk to me about more “Deutsche K├╝che”, you know where to find me :P