Metal Gear Solid 4: I’m Doing It!

A couple weeks ago, one of the first things I did after moving to the area (the very day I moved to the area, actually) was to go to my local GameStop and pre-order the limited edition version of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (as well as the limited edition strategy guide because the Sales Associate asked me and I’m a big sucker for MGS books with pretty pictures and words in them). This is a very odd thing to do because not only do I not even own a PlayStation 3 (or a television, but that’s another story), I haven’t even properly played Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. MGS4 is the sequel (in terms of the storyline) to MGS2. Why do this? Why get the game when I don’t have the console? Nostalgia for MGS1, mainly.

If I’m reaching for compelling arguments that dropping $500 for a games console is a good idea, it’s because there are a bunch of PS3-exclusive games on the horizon that I’d like to play, including MGS4. For example, though I don’t really play the Final Fantasy games, FFXIII is looking pretty intriguing. The next game set in the world of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus is going to be a PS3 exclusive. I also want to play Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War, which is a completely historically inaccurate (Mages? During the Hundred Years War? Really?) hack-n-slash game that didn’t get super good reviews (now that I take a look). However, I played it at a friend’s house and it was a lot of mindless fun. Oh and there’s Tekken 6 (and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection). I love me those Tekken games, even though I’m not super good at them. It’s not PS3 exclusive, but I’m also dying to have Rock Band.

The 80 GB PS3s have been phased out of retail. The only PS3s currently available in stores are the 40 GB versions without PS2 backwards compatibility. The 80 GB PS3s feature backwards compatibility through software emulation, which is not ideal, however limited backwards compatibility is better than none at all. There are rumours that the 80 GB PS3 will be phased out completely, to be replaced with a 120 GB or even a 160 GB version at the same price point. There is no word on whether this verson will be backwards compatible, but it’s a safe bet since the 40 GB model lacks that feature. Perhaps it’s better to wait for the one with the larger hard disk, but is it worth the wait when I could be playing MGS4 at launch?

Even if I don’t get a PS3 in June (Those things are expensive; maybe I’ll just get a Wii), I will still have a copy of MGS4 Limited Edition. With the special artbook. I also got my Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2 DVD pre-order bonus the other day. It’s currently comfortably nestled amongst boxes of CalorieMate and some Japanese promotional material for Metal Gear Solid games. All of these items are temporarily housed on the mantle above my fireplace. It’s kind of a Metal Gear Solid shrine because — why not? Besides, my flat is still cluttered with boxes and I haven’t yet had time to decorate it properly. So in the event that I don’t buy a PS3, I’ll at least be able to read the artbook and look at the DVD. Sigh.

Oh, by the way, Naked Snake (from MGS3: Snake Eater) was right: CalorieMate really is damn good.

17 comments for “Metal Gear Solid 4: I’m Doing It!

1. 4thVariety
    17 April 2008 at 01:24

Hi,
    I’d like to address a few of your PS3 doubts and beliefs.

Backwards compatibility is not that much of an issue. A PS2 will cost less than the amount of money Sony charges additionally for backwards compatibility, so you get basically ripped off.

The nostalgia will also quickly fade once you really see the graphics again. Just leave the memories in that warm fuzzy spot and keep them safe there.

The disc space is also a non-issue. Just buy the cheapest PS3 and upgrade it with your own 2.5 inch SATA HDD later. That will yield a far bigger bang for your buck and take the edge off the initial purchase. No matter which version you buy, it’ll be nothing compared to a 320GB self-made version that is still way cheaper than any premium package in the next two years. You can also delay the upgrade if you do not want to spend all the money at once.

Installing the disc drive on the PS3 is as easy as it can be
    Changing the HDD will not void your warranty!

Also make sure to buy a HDMI->DVI cable if you do not have an HDTV. PS3 on regular TV is useless. No really, it is. But hook it up to your monitor and the sun will shine at night.

The ‘cheap’ version of the PS3 only has two USB ports, but so far I can’t see how this is a problem. If your keyboard has build in USB hubs it will recognize them and even use those.

Did I mention you could install Ubuntu on your PS3? No hack, it’s supported by the Sony OS to start another OS. The PS3’s Bios will restrict access to the 3D Chip for no logical reason (good luck booting PC games off 512 MB Ram anyway), but for all other purposes it works just fine.

Any more PS3 questions?

2. Olivia
    17 April 2008 at 01:42

I’m gonna be a jerk and point out that you also haven’t beaten MGS3 yet either. Plot wise, it matters. I think anyway. Who the hell really knows? Uh, Patriots wtf?

CalorieMate = <3, no? :-D

I’m gonna root around for more stuff to contribute to the budding MGS shrine. You know you want my Limited Edition MGS3: Subsistence box on your mantle. ;-)

3. 17 April 2008 at 01:52

Yes, please contribute to my shrine. I took some CalorieMate and some of those MGS promo materials to work, so the mantle is looking a little sparse at the moment. Too bad I haven’t got any action figures. That would rock.

4. Olivia
    17 April 2008 at 02:05

Well then. I’ve got the Weapons of Mass Destruction ads and the Limited Edition box, but you already know that. I can also bring my extra copies of the Japanese promos.

The real prizes are gonna be my copy of the GBC Metal Gear Solid and F.X. Nine’s Worlds of Power Metal Gear novelization. Should I be ashamed to admit that it was that book that got me into the Metal Gear series in the first place? It’s so bad.

5. 17 April 2008 at 02:06

4thvariety: I don’t recall soliciting opinions on whether it was more cost-effective to get a 40GB PS3 + a PS2 versus an 80GB PS3.

If you bothered to take a look at the About section, you’d know that I already own a PS2. The backwards compatibility feature isn’t desirable simply because I can play PS2 and PS1 games. Having only one console out saves space.

I don’t see the point in installing Ubuntu on a PS3. I want a PS3 to play PlayStation games, not PC games.

I don’t recall asking any questions besides except whether I should wait to get a PS3 or not.

6. Fabio Pizzini
    17 April 2008 at 07:26

Hello Regina, nice to see a girl that enjoy playing games and also the beautiful PS3 ;)
    Now that you work with the staff of Guild Wars is there a chance to see this game also on Ps3?!?

7. 17 April 2008 at 08:40

CalorieMate’s always looked icky to me.

I don’t have a PS3 either, but I preordered MGS4 as well. I was going to try and “borrow” my roommate’s, bring it to work, and hook it up to one of the big projectors in the conference rooms, and play it after hours.

In any other circumstance I’d probably say ‘wait until it ships and ask me if it’s worth buying one for’ but since I’m a frothing-at-the-mouth MGS fan, I’d probably say it was worth it no matter what.

8. David
    17 April 2008 at 22:45

I am wondering how much heat a posting on the holy PS3 is going to create on a blog for gaming addicts??

Waiting is probably a good bet at this time. Not only the 40GB PS3 lacks space, backward compatibility, but also doesn’t have some of the “home entertainement center” features the 80GB did. i.e. flash card reader (so you can view on the big screen your latest digital SLR shoot… Oh, wait you need the SLR too for that, ouch ouch poor bank account ;-) ).

Now while waiting, you might still be able to play. Afterall the PS3 is a toy for male gamers and it shouldn’t be mission impossible to find a “boyfriend” to lend his toy (ok, some serious convincing needed). Eh, been a women should have advantages, one of them been abusing of favors. :p

With regards to getting a much cheaper Wii, notice that Nintendo does have offices in Redmond next to the Microsoft campus, and… a company store! Discounted prices for gamers according to my Wii addicted collegues (I am still resisting temptation – /come to the dark side Luke!/ /Noooooo…./)

9. Amon
    18 April 2008 at 08:40

“I’d like to address a few of your PS3 doubts and beliefs.” That tone kind of killed the comment…

Anyway, I sometimes feel uneasy with my silly gamer stunts (call in sick to enjoy a new game comes to mind) but then again there are others with related oddities. I’m feeling all better now Brinstar. Thanks!

Getting that new console kind of depends on cash flow and how must enjoyment you’ll get from it.

Your gamer instincts are already pointing the way to a new gaming extravaganza as well as your future blue-ray movie collection.

Otherwise, using your Metal Gear disk as a cup tray while playing the Wii just doesn’t seem right…

10. Olivia
    18 April 2008 at 22:03

@Fabio:

You appear to be unaware of two important facts: 1. Regina is a woman, not a girl, and 2. Many, many women and girls play games and have been doing so for, oh, I dunno, decades. I’m almost impressed with how demeaning you managed to be in just a single sentence.

@David:

Oh sweet jesus. Where to start? Calling the PS3 a “man’s toy” is ridiculously sexist and insulting. Does it say “penis required” on the PS3 box? No? It’s a console for gamers period, and gamers come in a variety of genders. I really don’t think Regina needs to find a “boyfriend” to get access to a PS3 (Nice heterosexist assumption about her sexuality there too!…jerk), and said suggestion is pretty fucking condescending. And the favors bit? *sigh* Do you even realize what a jackass you’ve been?

Oh wait. Don’t tell me you were just joking, speaking tongue in cheek? Ahahaha–wait. It’s not funny. Sexist jokes really aren’t funny unless you’re a sexist jerk.

Now come on then. Here’s the part where you tell me to lighten up, or make some remark about how feminists just can’t take jokes.

11. 18 April 2008 at 22:50

Fabio: I’d like to set the record straight and tell you and everyone here that I’m a woman, not a girl. I haven’t been a girl since I was a child.

Maybe you haven’t had much contact with girls and women, but just to let you know, many of us do play games.

David: The PS3 is a console for everyone, not just men. Anyone with money, regardless of whether they are a man or a woman, can get a PS3.

It’s incredibly insulting of you to suggest that I should “find a ‘boyfriend'” in order to acquire a PS3. I don’t need a man to get a PS3; I’m perfectly capable of obtaining one on my own.

You’re also making quite a lot of assumptions about my personal life all in that one sentence, based upon no information at all. Do you know whether I am currently involved with anyone or not? No. You just assumed I wasn’t. Do you know whether I am heterosexual/homosexual/bisexual? No. You just made an assumption about that.

It seems like you were trying to make a joke. It wasn’t funny. As Olivia said, the only way you could possibly find that joke funny is if you are sexist.

If you decide you want to comment here again, I suggest you think before you post.

12. Amon
    19 April 2008 at 00:08

Wow, as a man it’s sort of embarrassing to be reading that kind of chauvinistic remarks.

I for one I’m not at all in to the PS3. Mainly because of the price tag – having money to spare or not – and I’m quite happy with my upgradeable PC.

The Wii on the other hand is the only console that I’m actually giving serious consideration. I really like the idea that you get to be more active; I really am quite tired of being a lazy ass couch potato when playing games for hours on end.

I have my faithful mountain bike to do most of my workout, but another excuse to stay fit for the gir… *ahem* WOMEN wouldn’t be bad at all! =)

Anyway Brinstar, if you’re the kind of person that don’t get fat no matter what, just go ahead and get a PS3, while I jealously look on to play with a Wii.

13. igl
    19 April 2008 at 08:44

Same here, thought about a getting this ps3+gta4 bundle, but i might just go for a 360 because there is a official VGA cable to connect it to a monitor (I don’t have a tv either) I can still pick up a ps3 when it comes in a cheap €200-something bundle in 2 years and then i pick up the MGS, shadow of colossus and god of war series. Thinking more about it, there aren’t that much ps3 exclusives and those cross-platform titles are usually weaker on the ps3.

14. 20 April 2008 at 21:39

I’m getting the PS3 + MGS4 combo the day it comes out, too. Well, technically, my *Brother* is getting it since I don’t even have a TV at my place — because seriously, if it weren’t for console games, I’d chuck the home TV out of the window already. Okay fine, Mum, you still watch the TV.

Anyway… MGS FTW. ;)

15. Sarah
    26 April 2008 at 18:09

You have me wanting to go into GameSpot, which I haven’t walked into for years cause they make me crabby, and preorder the MGS4 PS3 bundle! Well that’s been going on for a little bit. Gunmetal! Tha game comes with as well. IUHDAIUYGDYIATGDFUAHFUAYG!

16. 27 April 2008 at 11:44

Wow, I knew you liked Metal Gear Solid, but I didn’t realize you were as much of a geek about it as I was :3

I feel bad because I have the MGSO Beta installed but I haven’t played it yet…too busy with…well, you know.

Have you watched the MG Saga Vol 2 DVD?

17. 3 June 2008 at 10:49

a) Love the blog.

b) I did this with GTAIV. I really don’t know why. I didn’t own a current console, but I preordered the game. I couldn’t help myself. It happened before I even realized what I did. Then I sat around and wondered if I should get the Xbox or PS3 to play it (changing my preorder to PS3 if so). Ended up going with a 360 because of the same reasons you list; I want backwards compatibility if possible for my PS3, but I also want a larger harddrive. I really hope they release games like RE:2, RE:3, etc., on Sony’s upcoming online network/store making it possible to live without backwards compatibility.

c) At the guys. Well, fuck. I don’t really have anything to say. Ridiculous guys are ridiculous (and insulting)! Maybe I should get a boyfriend so I can play Team Fortress 2. My breasts make it impossible to play it by my lonesome!