Job News

I left my job at Xfire last month to work at a company that I couldn’t speak of until today. It was my first day on the job as a Community Manager for Guild Wars. How cool is it that I’ve been writing about the game as a player and now I’m working at ArenaNet? Pretty damn cool, I must say.

I relocated from California to Washington last week, and the move and associated stresses have left me exhausted, a bit sleep-deprived, and not inclined to play games, so I don’t have any updates on that front. Oh yeah, I played the hell out of Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, and I’m looking forward to Puzzle Quest: Galactrix.

I tried to troubleshoot my computer yesterday to no avail. I’m going to try one more thing this week and if that doesn’t work, I’ll have to reinstall Windows. I’m irked that I’ll be losing all those Guild Wars screen shots that I haven’t saved somewhere on the web yet. Also, my save game files for Portal and The Longest Journey. Doh. Must back up more often.

Right now I am not sure whether I will continue to write about Guild Wars here or not.

50 comments for “Job News

1. 7 April 2008 at 22:37

Hey, congratulations! That’s wonderful!

2. The Toe Tag
    7 April 2008 at 22:47

just heard about you becoming the CR for GW so i thought i would check out your blog /bookmarked. and grazt on the job

3. 7 April 2008 at 22:59

Hi! I cross-linked here from your GWW page… I really love your writing, I’ve got to say. And a WoD LARPer/D&D player? :] I’m looking forward to meeting you in-game!

4. J.Kougar
    7 April 2008 at 23:07

Glad to hear it, but I said all that in the message I sent you earlier. ;) Also been helping to setup your page on the GuildWiki site, hope you don’t mind too much, ad you can always change it when you have time… which I doubt you will soon with the craziness of this new job. Good luck though, I know you’ll be just what this game has needed.

5. 7 April 2008 at 23:38

hey, before you reinstall windows, try to pop your hard drive into another computer and extract the screen shots that way? I am sure you can find someone at work who can do that for you if you are unsure how.

6. Paul
    8 April 2008 at 00:17

Hi there and just to wish you good luck.

I hope that you will find time to listen to PVP players. We have high hopes for GW2 and we care about the game being balanced and requiring skill to play well more than almost anything else.

Paul

7. 8 April 2008 at 01:12

Congratulations. :)

8. Pete
    8 April 2008 at 01:46

Ah no way! Congrats Brin, that’s brilliant news. Been doing CM in the games industry for about five years now myself, you’re in for one hell of a trip. ;)

Shout if you’re ever after a second opinion from someone in the same boat. You’re fortunate that ArenaNet don’t do official forums, very smart IMO.

9. 8 April 2008 at 02:00

Bravo, and well deserved!

Remind me to have a very long talk with you about Shiro at some point…

10. Dutch Sunshine
    8 April 2008 at 03:13

Heya Regina,
    I tought I would give a look at your blog, after I saw that you are our new CRM :D and well, it looks really nice! It’s nice to have a CRM that likes an DS(and possibly also the Wii, didn’t saw if you got it already or not ;) ) anyway I wish you best of luck with your new job and I hope that we’ll meet ingame sometime soon :) Also will your ingame name be Regina Buenaobra(which you come with to vist us)? or will it be different?

GL& HF

Dutch Sunshine!

11. 8 April 2008 at 04:04

Ok, let’s see in GW what you got about gaming.
    You could keep writing as GW player here, but as a community relations manager in your Official GWWiki page.
    But a link and writing everything in a single spot is always more lazy,and thus, better.

Oh! You MUST continue with Portal! The cake is not a lie! Just the ending credits music is reason enough to finish the game… hm… hm…

12. bigwig
    8 April 2008 at 04:58

I was expecting the new CR person to be some random person i’d never heard of before. Then someone said something about a blog and I was like “wait, brinstar?”

So yeah i was surprised and happy for you. Congratulations.

13. 8 April 2008 at 05:54

Welcome Regina! Best of luck to you in your new position!

14. Ravious
    8 April 2008 at 05:57

Cross-linked as per Maui, and also awesome on being a WoD/DnD’r. That is awesome. Good luck with the transition again. And RSS’d. =D

15. 8 April 2008 at 06:44

Congratulations on the new gig!

16. 8 April 2008 at 08:56

Wow! Congratulations Brinstar! Can’t think of a better person for the job. ;) See you in game sometime.

17. ken
    8 April 2008 at 09:25

Hi and congratulation, i hope you will reach the best! until 2 years i enjoy GW and i just want to share some story about GW ^^ feel free to take a look to my little website

18. 8 April 2008 at 09:48

Congratulations for this new job. I hope that you’ll come see the Univers-Virtuels’s team. You can inquire with J Crevitz, we’re kind French people fans of the NC Soft’s work.:)

19. Shadowphoenix
    8 April 2008 at 09:54

Hiya Regina, we are glad to have you as part of the Guild War community. I have no doubts that you will make a great Community Relation Manager (or Community Manager which ever you perfer). Cannot wait to meet you in game! :o)

20. 8 April 2008 at 09:57

Congrats, Brin! That’s awesome.

21. 8 April 2008 at 10:05

Congratulations. Nice to find a job that so easily matches your skill set and interests.

22. bishless
    8 April 2008 at 10:14

Wow!!! I’m shocked. Congratulations, Brin!

Do you get to choose a new animal to interact w/? Is the Frog retired? Will we have a pairing of Brin and a Giraffe? Brin and an Ostrich?

23. Tough_Nutz
    8 April 2008 at 13:44

Just wanted to say welcome aboard to the team at ArenaNet.

Also as far as your screen shots go, if the hard drive is still good. You can download and burn a live-cd/dvd of linux and use that to recover your pictures and documents. Also, just as an aside GuildWars play fine under linux using wine ( If you have the computer power for it. )

If you need some remote help, please feel free to ask. And if your in the game (GW) just look for Red Boy Two or Ranger Tough Nuts.

Take care,

Tough_Nutz

24. b0t
    8 April 2008 at 13:52

i don’t know if you just can’t start windows anymore or already know this – nvm:
    you can simply overwrite the old windows (excluding the user files) by accessing the command line tool in rescue mode (windows cd->rescue mode before boot) and delete(“del [..]”) “c:\windows\” or rename it(e.g.”ren c:\windows windows_”), so windows neither recognizes the old installation nor formats c:(i assume your important files are stored there).
    reinstalling windows completely is still recommended but it worked for me several times when i had to create backups.
    pm for further information^^

25. Cory
    8 April 2008 at 14:33

Grats on the job, Love the metroid Banner :D

26. Gunch
    8 April 2008 at 15:01

Welcome to the fold! Imagine my surprise to see your face on Kotaku! I freaked everyone out in my section by screaming, “Hey I know her!”
    Grats and hopefully we will get to work together someday soon!

27. Gunch
    8 April 2008 at 15:03

My bad. I saw it on Massively. (gotta give credit and all that)

28. Velentine Hath
    8 April 2008 at 15:26

I hope you have a good sense of humor. I made a character named Regina Beunaobra, but I wasn’t convincing anyone I was a GM, just having fun in alliance chat. I look forward to meeting you in game!

29. 8 April 2008 at 15:32

That’s absolutely awesome news. Congratulations!

30. teq
    8 April 2008 at 16:41

Get a friend to slave your hard drive and transfer the data before your reinstall so you keep your stuff!

31. jkstalker
    8 April 2008 at 16:47

Welcome to the GW Family.

32. daemon
    8 April 2008 at 17:14

Welcome to the GW community!
    You have a hard job now and I wish you good luck!

33. Seth
    8 April 2008 at 19:03

This sounds like a fun opportunity. Wish you the best of luck and congrats on taking the risk.

34. guild war godess
    9 April 2008 at 01:36

just read about you joining the GW team on wiki, welocme hope you have loads of fun (i no i have). if you need any help ingame drop me pm

35. Sidhaethe
    9 April 2008 at 02:07

Oh, congratulations! That’s so awesome. I’ve been reading your blog for months now and taking some of your gaming recommendations to heart, so it’s cool to see someone I “know of” in the Community Manager spot. Good luck!

36. Oremir
    9 April 2008 at 05:49

Welcome to the Guild Wars familly.

Hope you’ll do a better job then Gaile and hope i’l meet you in-game.

37. 9 April 2008 at 07:23

Welcome Regina! Best of luck to you in your new position! I hope that you can help some of us “old folks” who play Guild Wars … (smile)

38. 9 April 2008 at 08:12

Hey, Regina!

Congratulations on your new gig with Anet!

39. Burned
    9 April 2008 at 08:24

Hey Regina Buenaobra,
    What means your surname?
    Is is from Spain? – “la obra buena” ?
    greetings from Germany ;D

40. 10 April 2008 at 00:42

if you are going stop plaing guild wars have you got any ecos you dont whant pls give them to me

41. Deatheater
    10 April 2008 at 02:36

Welcome to the Guild Wars family :D

42. 10 April 2008 at 05:30

Greetings and Salutations, Brinstar!

As a player who has been with Guild Wars since the World Preview Event of the original Guild Wars, let me welcome you! I am glad to see you taking over in the CR department. Guild Wars has had a fairly good record in this regard, and I expect we’ll see more of the same as you join the team.

Many here have offered their assistance with your recent computer trouble. If you have trouble with it, I would be glad to offer any assistance via E-Mail, IM, or even in-game (if you E-Mail me, I will give you my in-game name in Guild Wars). I work as a senior technician at a premium technical support firm, so I can assist with nearly any kind of problem you might have, without needing any access to your computer.

Or, if you just want to hang out in the game and escape the burdens of Community Relations, feel free to contact myself or any member of my guild, the Free Spirits United [Free] at http://www.free-spirits.co.nr . We are a guild dedicated to just playing for the fun of it, no matter who you are!

Cheers!

– Chet

43. 10 April 2008 at 13:49

That’s pretty f’ing sweet

44. 10 April 2008 at 15:00

Welcome to Guild Wars. Hope to see you in game sometime. :)

45. Lisa The Mystic
    10 April 2008 at 15:14

Hello Regina and congratulations on your new job. If you see me in game say hello and if you need help with mission/quest just ask. Best of luck to you.

46. David
    10 April 2008 at 22:59

Welcome to rainy Bellevue. :-) Did people say Seattle? Naaah, all the action is in Bellevue! We had a real frog weather this spring, maybe to celebrate Gaile’s frog departure? Anyway, the sun can’t be far away now. Plus if Windows still giving you trouble, Microsoft’s campus in Redmond is just a short ride north-east from Arena Net’s offices in Bellevue.

47. Sarah
    11 April 2008 at 21:29

Community Manager?! OMFG so awesome, many congrats!

48. 17 April 2008 at 02:04

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone. :)

49. 18 April 2008 at 18:16

I know I’m a little late on the welcome, but I just found your blog tonight. Looks awesome! Welcome to GWs from a long-time player!

50. 22 April 2008 at 06:40

Hi Regina. Just wanted to say congrats on the new job, and welcome to our GW family. I think you have some big shoes to fill, but will do a wonderful job.