CA-ing @ GDC 2008

I was one of 350 people chosen to be a Conference Associate at the Game Developers Conference next month (18 – 22 February) in San Francisco. I did not attend the GDC in 2007 because I was busy moving across the country, however I was a CA at GDC 2006.

The CA army will be wearing fluorescent pink shirts this year. I believe they chose pink for the CA shirts to match the GDC 2008 colour scheme. It will be interesting to see how the CAs, the majority of whom are young males, deal with it. I suspect that many will loudly and frequently proclaim that they are so secure in their masculinity, they can wear pink without feeling threatened.

If you’re going to the GDC, perhaps I’ll see you there. I’ll definitely be attending (or working at) several panels, so you may find me in the audience or helping with room logistics.

I’m planning on attending a few parties/social gatherings in the evenings that week. Right now I have Wednesday and Thursday tentatively booked. I am, of course, interested in hearing where the good parties are, so feel free to let me know (or get me in).

6 comments for “CA-ing @ GDC 2008

1. 9 January 2008 at 12:44

Half of us will loudly proclaim we’re secure enough to be okay with it, half of us will revel in it and the other half will… oh wait. I’m out of halves.

You’ve already got evenings booked up? Nice. The only confirmed event I’ve got so far is the IGDA party and I owe Darius a pint I think.

2. 9 January 2008 at 16:24

The guy who won the Omegathon at PAX was wearing a pink shirt and pink armor in Halo 3. And I said “real men wear pink, it’s sexy.” So yeah I’d like dudes who wear pink cause it’s sexy. Wait I said something more like “chicks dig dudes that wear pink.” Or something.

I’m not going to GDC, so godspeed!

3. Gunch
    9 January 2008 at 20:21

I wish I could go to GDC, but us QA types aren’t invited. Maybe someday. :)

4. 9 January 2008 at 20:31

I wasn’t invited either, Gunch. I just applied to the CA Program, was selected, and am going on my own dime and taking PTO for it. :)

5. 11 January 2008 at 17:31

Nice! I look forward to reading all about it. And seeing masses of people in pink shirts.

6. 3 March 2010 at 20:00

Attending on Another Even Year: GDC 2010

In several days, I shall be flying down to San Francisco to attend the Game Developers Conference. I’ll again be a behind-the-scenes volunteer as I was in 2006 and 2008. This means I’ll spend the vast majority of the week…