Illness, PAX, and Other Things

A few things:

1) I have been ill recently. I had to go into Urgent Care on Friday, and now I am on some nice medication, which should fix what’s wrong. There are a couple of other health problems that have been slowing me down, too, but medication isn’t the best route for those problems.

2) I have been very busy at work recently. This contributes to increased stress levels and worsens some of the problems in point #1. I have also been busy during my non-working time.

3) I am in dire need of a holiday.

4) I have decided to go to the Penny Arcade Expo. No, I will not be working at this convention, though I have seriously considered it. Right now, I only work at anime conventions, though sadly I will be missing Otakon.

I will be visiting the ArenaNet/Guild Wars booth at PAX, and of course I will be blogging about it. I am very excited. This is like the ultimate mini-holiday destination for me. I plan on attending as many Guild Wars related events at PAX as possible. I don’t care too much about anything else there right now (I rarely even read Penny Arcade). I’m going to PAX for ArenaNet and for Guild Wars.

If anyone is going to PAX and would like to meet up, send me an email and we’ll sort it out. I’m really nice, as long as you don’t draw me into a Guild Wars vs. World of Warcraft “debate”.

5) Due to point #2, my main computer for everything (especially gaming) is still down.

6) I won something because I commented on things at sk*rt. I am not sure what a “Guided Memory Book” is, but I’m sure I will figure it out. Maybe I could use it for #4.

7) I think I need to finally get a digital camera.

15 comments for “Illness, PAX, and Other Things

1. Pete C
    17 July 2007 at 02:30

Gack. Work stress and no-holiday burnout only makes illnesses worse in my experience, very sucky Brin. Get well sharpish!

PAX looks like a lot of fun, I’d love to go one year but flying from Stockholm or London to the other side of the US is kinda crazy. You sure there isn’t something else to take your interest there though? I know GW is totally your thing but there’s so much cool stuff going on.

2. 17 July 2007 at 07:00

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been ill. I hope you feel better soon!

PAX sounds like it’ll be a blast–I can’t wait to read your posts about it.

3. 17 July 2007 at 08:51

Pete C: I think there are a lot of things at PAX I’d be interested in, but I haven’t looked at the events schedule yet… :P

100littledolls: Thanks. :-) I’m looking forward to it!

4. 17 July 2007 at 08:53

Hope you feel better, B. No holiday and no gaming? Ick. I wouldn’t be functioing right now if I couldn’t escape into Tamriel from time to time.

5. 17 July 2007 at 09:11

Thanks, Josh. I think maybe another week of not pushing myself as hard as I have should put me on the right track.

I have been putting gaming time into my DS. I finally started Final Fantasy VI Advance the other day. I’ve gotten a lot further than I have compared to my experience with FFVII.

6. 17 July 2007 at 09:33

I’ll chime in with my wishes for recovered health as well. Feel better soon!

I’m curious how PAX goes. Without E3 this year I feel lost and bereft. I need hands-on game time! Maybe PAX will provide that? Curious to hear.

And how can you not have a digital camera yet? I’m amazed.

7. 17 July 2007 at 09:59

Thanks, Tara.

I have never been to PAX or to E3, so I don’t know great my frame of reference will be. I have sort of an idea of what E3 was like from the media, and I do know that PAX is smaller than Otakon in terms of attendees, but I’m sure the vibe and demographics will be different from anime conventions.

I’m pretty amazed that I don’t have a digital camera yet, either! I’ve just been borrowing my brother’s camera, and now I have a mobile which has a camera on it. Time to do some research. :D

8. 17 July 2007 at 11:00

Ugh, I’ve been sick too. Been on 3 antibiotics for a week. I was supposed to go to PAX…But then my college decided I had to report a week early…

9. 17 July 2007 at 17:26

I don’t exactly know what a guided memory book is either, but I bet it will be excellent filled with PAX photos. And I’m glad you won it.

10. 17 July 2007 at 18:53

Hope you feel better soon. At least you can justify spending money on a digital camera now: it’s a cheer up present to yourself :).

11. 19 July 2007 at 16:42

First time reader and poster! Double whammy! :D

I played World of Warcraft, but right now I can’t afford to pick it back up. I was hoping to find more insight on GW’s gameplay. It looks like a lot of fun.

I missed out on Otakon too. I have a job interview coming up so I can’t go out of town for the weekend. =(

Anyway, I hope you feel better and that you have fun at the expo.

12. 19 July 2007 at 17:40

Natasha: Thank you! :) I have been doing intense research and I’m going to the store to check out the final contenders. I’m looking forward to having my own camera!

Hi, Lexi. Thanks for stopping by! I should have more GW posts up as soon as I get my computer back up and running. :)

13. 21 July 2007 at 10:24

14. 24 July 2007 at 08:43

I hope you feel better soon! Illness is no fun at all. Neither are most meds.

Ooooh. Digital camera. And PAX. Hopefully someday I’ll make it to PAX.

15. 24 July 2007 at 09:32

Hi, Heather. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the well wishes.

This will be my first PAX, so I’m quite excited. I think it’s a fitting event to finally purchase a digital camera for.