‘Rape’: More Than a Word

One of my pet peeves of gaming culture (and I guess culture in general, since I’ve heard non-gamers use the word this way) is how gamers use the word ‘rape’. I recently read a blog post which explains that:

To some people rape is just four letters put together to make a monosyllabic sound… To others it is an invisible scar that can be worn for all to see, hidden away beneath layers of camouflage, or in some cases acknowledged but not quick to be shown.

In WoW, on the server I am on, they call Alliance, AC. The C stands for cunt. They are loathe to use this word around others, yet they will shout out how they raped that AC paly or got raped by that AC rogue. (For the record, the word cunt doesn’t bother me.)

When I see those four letters slung about without a care, I get shivers down my spine.

The post continues with a descriptive set of reasonings of why people should be more sensitive to how they use words.

[Read via Jade Reporting]

8 comments for “‘Rape’: More Than a Word

1. 29 June 2007 at 00:09

[oops, premature keypress above. :(]

I wholeheartedly agree. Rape is a horrifyingly terrible thing. Casually throwing that word around to describe virtual victories over anything is ridiculous.

I recently found out that friend of mine was raped by someone that college professor asked to walk her to her car. The professor was just trying to keep her safe; instead, she ended up violently and irrevocably violated. I can’t begin to imagine how many of my other female friends could share similar stories.

2. 29 June 2007 at 17:45

That’s awful, bish.

One of the things that I’ve read is that rape is very under-reported crime, many women that people interact with or are friends with may have been victims, but they haven’t spoken about it for a variety of reasons.

I brought up this notion when I was talking in general chat once in an online game. There were some people who took my point and agreed. This made the person using the word ‘rape’ this way stop and think. However in general, it’s very difficult to call people out for inappropriate/insensitive language use in online games. I think the only reason that this person stopped was because there were other people who vocally agreed with me.

3. 29 June 2007 at 23:03

I can only begin to imagine how horrible it is, even then I have no idea. I don’t know any victims(Maybe I do, I may not be aware). I’ve of course heard the stories, and agree that “Rape” isn’t a word that should be casually used. What’s wrong with “owned” why do some people feel the need to be more crude? Makes me ashamed to be an avid Xbox Live user sometimes, I actually stopped using a mic a month ago, makes things better..

4. S. Labyrinth
    30 June 2007 at 12:49

Lee, you know a victim of at least sexual assault if not rape. The amount of women who go through these experiences is a lot higher than anyone will ever know. It isn’t reported because women are shamed for reporting it. The police and everyone around them, including their families will blame the sexual assault/rape on them. “Well, you shouldn’t have dressed/walked/stood/talked that way.”

Basically if it’s reported all the blame falls on the woman who already feels like shit. Lovely world we live in.

5. 1 July 2007 at 16:25

6. Tyler Durden
    24 July 2007 at 18:42

ya anyways… its a word… dont give it so much power.

over-sensitivity is only reason things like racism exist

7. 26 July 2007 at 09:35

Tyler Durden: That’s an overly simplistic view of things, isn’t it?

8. Roy
    2 August 2007 at 14:18

That’s a tremendously simplistic view. Things like racism and sexism exist because some people continue to be closed-minded bigots, not because other people call them on it. When someone acts in a way that is completely insenstive to another person’s experiences and feelings, that can be passive bigotry. The appropriate response to someone saying “You know, that really hurt, because X, Y, and Z” is not to tell the person to stop being so sensitive, it’s to think about what that person is saying. It’s possible that the person is, in fact, being overly sensitive, but it’s also possible that you’re not being sensitive enough.