Onimusha Film Will Star Kaneshiro

Oh. My. Goodness. I’ve never played the Onimusha games, but I really like Takeshi Kaneshiro. The main character, Samanosuke Akechi, was modeled after Kaneshiro, because Takeshi Kaneshiro is really hot. Okay, I made that second part up, but it’s true.

I first became aware of Takeshi Kaneshiro from his role in the 1994 Hong King film, Chungking Express. He played Cop 223. Kaneshiro also played Miyamoto in the derivative-but-still-fun science fiction film, Returner. More recently, and probably famously, he starred in House of Flying Daggers.

Christopher Gans, director of Silent Hill (which I really liked) and Brotherhood of the Wolf (which I thought was terrible), has stated that Takeshi Kaneshiro will be reprising his role from the videogame in the feature film adaptation of Onimusha.

[Ain’t It Cool News via N’Gai Croal’s Level Up]

10 comments for “Onimusha Film Will Star Kaneshiro

1. 4 June 2007 at 11:29

I rented Returner after a very offhanded suggestion from a co-worker – but I absolutely loved it and keep trying to get other people to watch.

2. 4 June 2007 at 15:15

Really? You hated Brotherhood of the Wolf? I guess I’m partial to French films and action films, and since the cross section is so small, I enjoyed it. And there was that one awesome fight scene that really stuck out for me.

3. 4 June 2007 at 17:19

Brotherhood of the Wolf just fell flat for me. I’m having a hard time remembering exactly why, though, because it’s been a while since I’ve seen it.

4. 4 June 2007 at 19:29

You liked Silent Hill but hated BotW?

Because that’s just wrong.

5. bigwig
    4 June 2007 at 22:22

BotW has a strange following that tend to overlook the films faults. Its not the worst film ever made but I don’t personally believe it deserves as much praise as it recieves.

That said it does have things going for it, like an original script, fair action sequences, little american influence.

6. 5 June 2007 at 11:19

Thomas: I’m wrong, then. :D

7. 5 June 2007 at 14:03

That said it does have things going for it, like an original script, fair action sequences, little american influence…

…Monica Bellucci…

I actually haven’t seen Silent Hill, Brin, so I really shouldn’t judge. BotW does have its faults, as bigwig points out. The fetishization of American Indians is a good place to start–there’s a lot of “noble savaging” taking place there.

8. 5 June 2007 at 17:20

Monica Bellucci was in that? Hm, I didn’t notice.

9. 7 June 2007 at 06:24

Takeshi’s a beautiful man. Does he speak English? I don’t see why he couldn’t crack Hollywood. Perhaps he’s lovely and doesn’t care about making it big, just helping the homeless, or something.

10. 7 June 2007 at 10:32

He does speak English as far as I know. Maybe he just isn’t focused on breaking into Hollywood, since he’s been relatively successful as an actor and model in Asia.