First Time in FoW

I went into the Fissure of Woe for the first time ever as part of the women-only Girl Power Hour, which is run by the Girl Power [GP] guild. I played my Necromancer/Mesmer (Spiteful Spirit Nuker build). We had 4 Monks, 1 Warrior, 1 Ranger, 1 Elementalist, and 1 Necromancer/Mesmer. I forgot most of their Secondary Professions. At least one of the Monks was a Monk/Elementalist. I think the Warrior was a Warrior/Monk. It’s an amazing experience to play with a pick-up group that:

• Are not immature
  • Are not sexist
  • Do not type in leetspeak or textspeak all the time
  • Are patient about pulls and patrol groups
  • Know how to play their builds
  • Do not get angry or throw fits when they or their teammates die
  • Know how to call targets and obey target calls
  • Do not run off ahead of everyone
  • Know when to retreat and regroup
  • Are patient with beginners — I told the group that it was my first time in the Fissure of Woe. I don’t think I actually made any mistakes, or the mistakes I made were minor, because no one corrected me or complained.

I had fun casting Blood Ritual on the Monks. I’m not really used to the micromanagement that comes with buffing party members, at least not with my Necromancer, so it was a neat experience. All in all, it was hugely successful trip. I even got two Obsidian Shards (a rare crafting material).

My Necromancer made a trip to Mineral Springs for mapping purposes. Whilst I was there, I got her Tengu Mask infused. :P That place is so easy with Heroes in your party (with Henchmen, I had a 4 Monks :D).

I decided to get my Necromancer a set of the Cabalist’s Krytan Armour for the Energy bonus. I considered getting the Scar Pattern Armor, which has the same functionality and is slightly cheaper in terms of gold, but I wasn’t fond of the nearly-naked look.  I’ll have to make an infusion run at some point. Poor planning. Ah well.

My Warrior now has her Kurzick 15k boots. I only need the gloves before my armour is complete. After that, I will need to farm gold to buy dye. I haven’t decided what colour to use yet, but white appeals (though it is extremely expensive).

Fun!

8 comments for “First Time in FoW

1. 26 March 2007 at 06:26

I logged in over the weekend just to test GW with the new hardware. It’s been long enough that I feel a bit disconnected from the game now :) Might have to pick up an expansion pack to peak my interest.

How’s the new pad?

2. 26 March 2007 at 08:14

I love my new flat. It’s a one bedroom, and really nice — especially with furniture. This is probably obvious, but it’s amazingly hard to get out of bed in the morning when you’re getting out of a bed instead of getting up from a sleeping pad. :)

3. Fenn
    26 March 2007 at 09:48

Heh. Playing with a good group is one of the best things you can do with your clothes on. I still think that’s why my guild in WoW has stuck together so long (probably about 3.5 months now, and up to almost 70 characters) and so solidly – everyone who’s joined the guild has done so probably because they’ve joined a group of us in an instance and seen how much fun it can be when playing with a patient and good group. Hells – that’s how come we started it in the first place!

Still thinking about maybe going GW some time… Any recommendations on which version to begin with?

4. 26 March 2007 at 10:41

If you do get into GW (and I know it may be difficult to pull yourself away from WoW!), I would suggest Nightfall.

Nightfall allows you to have Heroes in your party. The leveling curve isn’t as steep as in Factions, and it isn’t as slow as Prophecies. It’s sort of in the middle. Story-wise, I’m not sure. I liked the story in Prophecies more than Factions, but I haven’t completed Nightfall yet, so I can’t compare it to the other two. Gameplay is pretty much the same across all of the campaigns, excepting the Hero feature.

5. 26 March 2007 at 18:18

Wow, that sounds so fun! I don’t have a PC, but maybe I’m starting to think about getting a copy for my family I can play when I come visit. :D

6. 28 March 2007 at 12:21

It’s definitely a fun game. Some people who have played MMORPGs like WoW and EQ and so on say that Guild Wars is a love/hate thing, though. I’ve had to defend Guild Wars from WoW fans who say it sucks, but gradually I’ve just sort of come to accept that there will be fanboys of anything that will say that something sucks just because other people don’t like what they like.

7. Duran Moonrazor
    17 April 2007 at 18:30

I know [GP], random blog person. They’re the greatest. Used to be in the same alliance as them. Those were the days. Keep scavenging the obsidian shard drops!

~Elementalist Duran