World of Darkness MMORPG in the Works

From Gamasutra:

EVE OnlinePC MMO creator CCP, based in Iceland, has announced a merger with U.S. paper-gaming firm White Wolf, the world’s second largest role-playing publisher, revealing intentions to build a World Of Darkness MMO.

As a former member of The Camarilla, this is exciting news. I could totally get into a Vampire MMORPG. Whee vampires!

[White Wolf press release]

13 comments for “World of Darkness MMORPG in the Works

1. Patrick
    12 November 2006 at 11:04

I’m a fan, that sounds like it might be good.

2. Pete
    13 November 2006 at 03:22

It’s very good news for both companies. CCP are a great bunch of guys and I love how they were one of the first to do something DIFFERENT in the MMO category – not 3rd person fantasy, but a space game with territory control, enourmous fleet battles, autopilot for travel, a single galaxy/shard, hyper-capitalistic, hugely player driven, time/money based skill system (buy skills, they train themselves over time one by one – no more skill grind!) and developers that have added a huge amount of features and concent to the game over the years at regular intervals for absolutely free. Oh, and they’ve grown despite being based in iceland which makes things harder (not just isolation getting in the way of recruiting but taxes are harsh there).

White Wolf, on the other hand, took cliche horror concepts and made them modern and cool again with some fantastic creativity and fiction, though I’ve been hearing some worrying things about the reset. No technorati? Some vampire clans killed off?

Still, yeah, a totally unexpected combination but a potentially great one.

3. 13 November 2006 at 11:58

Pete: I have long thought EVE Online to be intriguing from chatting to some people about it and reading player accounts. It definitely occupies its own niche in the MMOG realm, and it’s different enough to be thriving. I am not sure it’s my cup of tea, but it’s awesome to see a comapny do something different.

Yes, I am not familiar with this new-fangled Requiem. Hopefully the WoD MMORPG will not be Requiem, but will be the good old WoD we know and love.

4. 29 January 2007 at 10:17

I will definitely check that game out. I am down for any MMORPG.

5. Macktheknife
    9 February 2007 at 17:31

i personally would like it set in OWOD cause we have been waiting for this kinda stuff for ages and its not right to give it to NWOD
    or i say if its gunna be many realms like WoW then have Old WOD and NWOD realms that would be rather acceptable for all kinda of us players so no one gets left out of the fun

6. 11 February 2007 at 04:21

I agree.

7. Tom M
    11 March 2007 at 14:14

NWOD, OWOD… does it matter?:)
    The fact there’s gonna be a WoD MMO or *any* type makes me exceedingly happy.

I don’t care if the only players me and a guy named Biff from Uganda. I’d pay $15 a month for it.

This will be a welcomed flavor to a stale MMO world.

8. Carl
    19 May 2007 at 15:44

“NWOD, OWOD… does it matter?”

Yes, it does.

Man, Gamers who enjoyed any of the two Masquerade PC games and have’nt been keeping up the White Wolf news are going to be for a VERY nasty surprise…. XP

9. Talos
    6 July 2007 at 20:40

While I’m a definite fan of OWOD, WhiteWolf has pretty much said their only proceeding with NWOD content. I think its a safe bet that if they were to produce and MMO, it’d be set in NWOD. That’s not to say to lose hope, but its definitely the direction WhiteWolf is going at the moment.

10. arlene
    29 July 2007 at 18:44

nWoD is pretty awesome in it’s own right and even though I love oWoD, I think nWoD will make for a much more interesting MMO experience

11. Kris
    28 August 2007 at 15:26

VTES is continuing as a OWOD product even after its own gehenna expansion and the last PC game came out after NWOD stuff was published. Depending on the game mechanics OWOD might be more appropriate for an MMO. Especially for Mage. They fubared Mage.

12. Jim
    28 October 2008 at 16:38

These news are great. But since it will be an MMO, it would be a shame if only the Camarilla is playable and not the other factions like the Sabbat. It would be a shame also if the player won ‘t be able to make a werewolf, or a human mage as playable characters. WOD is extremely rich in both lore and mythology. It would reflect badly on the project if such a valuable and rich resource as the WOD universe is not tapped thoroughly. Hope it won ‘t take longer than 2011-2012 to herald this masterpiece as one of the best MMOs ever (it has the potential)…

13. 25 September 2010 at 13:44

First Look at World of Darkness MMO Game

Four years ago, White Wolf and CCP announced that they would bring the World of Darkness into the online world. Yesterday, at the Grande Masquerade, an official White Wolf fan gathering in New Orleans, they unveiled the first glimpse of…