No Weapons for Women in Dead Rising

Female survivors in Dead Rising cannot be given weapons, according to this player who posted on the Girl Gamers LiveJournal Community:

Anyone notice that in Dead Rising when you find survivors you can give weapons to the male survivors but the same button with female survivors makes you hold their hand to usher them to a safe spot?

I am a bit surprised at this detail, considering Capcom’s history in survival horror videogames. They have published many videogames in which a woman either played a prominent role or was the lead character, and many of them used weapons.

Dead Rising looks to be an awesome game. It’s a shame it’s on the Xbox 360, a console that I do not plan on purchasing.

EDIT — 24 August 2006, 16:53: Apparently, some female survivors will wield weapons if offered, and some won’t. It is unclear whether the same holds true for male survivors. Since the original poster tried to give weapons to all of the survivors, it seems that more male survivors will take weapons than female survivors.

13 comments for “No Weapons for Women in Dead Rising

1. jocelyn
    23 August 2006 at 17:29

dead rising is hilarious! i watched a colleague play it for about 15 minutes and it was totally funny. that sucks about the weird gender roles, though.

2. 24 August 2006 at 06:41

I’m actually surprised by this news as well, given Capcom’s history. At the very least, I thought they would have some type of unlockable female protagonist that you could play as during the game.

Well, come to think of it, Ashley Graham in Resident Evil 4 was pretty worthless…

3. 24 August 2006 at 16:06

I actually really hoped that one of the unlockables would be to give Ashley an unlimited ammo shotgun.

I’m with you Brin, Dead Rising sounds pretty good – first really intriguing 360 title for me. But I won’t be 360 bound till I’m HDTV ready (unless I decide to just hook it up to the Mac’s monitor … but I think The Girl would complain about me hoarding all the toys).

4. 25 August 2006 at 08:35

Everybody knows that girls can’t kill zombies! They might break a nail or get a run in their stockings. They should get a constitution penalty, too.

5. 25 August 2006 at 13:27

This actually seems somewhat realistic if some of the women and an even smaller percentage of the men would refuse a weapon. In our sheltered society, some people seem to reject the idea of self defense and self reliance, that society owes them protection. I do hope that the majority of the people would accept a weapon, however, because I really don’t know too many people, male or female, who would refuse a weapon being handed to them in a room full of zombies. Now what would be funny is if some of the people would accept weapons but not use them correctly, like accidentally shooting you or hitting you instead of the zombies. That would be realistic too.

6. 26 August 2006 at 04:41

Josh: I think the first next-gen console I will get (when I do, since I am not an early adopter) is the Wii because you don’t need HD for the full experience. When the price for the PS3 drops, and when the games catalogue is larger and more varied, I’ll see about getting one of those. Still waiting to hear on other games on the PS3 that I would like to play besides MGS 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Troy: I wonder how realistically they do treat those NPCs… Con penalty, but Dex bonus!

knight37: See, that would be pretty awesome, and maybe a bit frustrating (in a good way) as a player. You’d have to judge whether it would be a waste of a weapon to hand it to someone who seemed unsure, flighty, or just incompetent. I am not sure whether the game is set in America or not, but that could be a factor in the proportion of characters that know how to use guns.

7. 5 February 2007 at 12:07

8. Jeremy
    7 January 2008 at 09:55

I’m not sure who made these statements, but the FIRST female survivor you always meet on the roof (regardless of how many ways you replay the game) accepts weapons.

The simple fact is, some men take weapons, some don’t; some women take weapons, some don’t.

There is one woman in the park who is brutalized by 3 escaped convicts. No shame in being scared after that. She can take out zombies BARE-HANDED. She also moves fine on her own (better than Aaron) but will run faster if you hold her hand.
    Another woman has a broken foot and can barely walk, so you have to carry her. She has to hold onto your back with both hands (no weapon).
    In order to carry or hand-hold either of them, the protagonist (Frank) cannot use weapons. I.e., nobody does.

OTOH, there is a healthy young man (Aaron) who will “accept” weapons but is completely worthless and never uses them. He screams for help constantly and crawls on his belly in fear.
    A middle-age man cowers in the hardware store, crying, and you have to slap him around to make him stand up and follow you.

9. Skyler
    3 April 2008 at 15:28

I think that Dead Rising should have had a choice to either be a male photographer or a famale photographer; There are girl gamers out in this world that would want more of an UNSEXIST choice!!

10. Bobbie
    12 July 2008 at 15:59

I was reading the comment at the bottom and I’m a girl gamer and own dead rising and really am not offended that you can’t choose a female photographer. He has to sometimes carry females and support some of the male survivors when he is bringing them back to the security room. Could a woman do that? They were being realistic, a woman(unless you are a body builder) could not carry a man to safety. But the male photographer can.

11. 12 July 2008 at 18:08

Bobby: “They were being realistic”? Tell me, what’s so realistic about being dropped into the middle of a zombie apocalypse and trying to fight off hordes of undead?

It’s not actually that much of a stretch to give players the choice to choose the sex of their character, and furthermore for both sexes to have the same stats. Loads of popular games, like Pokemon and World of Warcraft (and almost every single MMOG, for that matter), provide players this choice. The developers of Dead Rising, on the other hand, made the explicit decision not to give players this choice.

You’re being pretty Western-centric with your assertion that women are incapable of carrying people around. Many Westerners are larger than Asians. A Western woman could probably lift an Asian man and carry him. So, not only are you wrong, but you’re also narrowminded.