Return of the Shred

Whew. I am back. I have been away doing beach stuff for several days. Also, I’ve been on a break from Messenger, which is why people haven’t seen me online. I’m alive, I assure you. :-) Glancing at my Bloglines is a bit scary. I am afraid that most of those will go unread or at the very least simply glanced at.

I got Guitar Hero (Wikipedia entry) last Friday so that we could have some multi-player guitar action when we weren’t outside doing beach things. I spent part of Saturday morning beating Guitar Hero on Easy mode and unlocking some of the songs on Medium mode. Contrary to what I had believed when I first played Guitar Hero in January, I am not pre-disposed to sucking at the game because of a mysterious defect in my hands or because the controller is too big. I am actually quite decent at it, and Guitar Hero is a very enjoyable game partly by virtue of me not sucking. Spare moments during the rest of my stay there were spent unlocking most of the songs on Medium mode and buying bonus songs using the cash-money I earned playing gigs.

An interesting thing about Guitar Hero is that if you play it a lot, and you listen to rock music, you start sort of thinking about how that song would play out in the game. One of my friends, who is nuts about the game, told me that this happened to him. He’d hear a song, and sort of imagine the screen and the fret keys and the whole thing.

I need to find some cool stickers for my guitar. The game comes with really crappy ones.

I also need to train my fingers to move independently of each other. Trying to hit the red and the blue fret keys at the same time is so hard without sliding my hand down the bar and using the “wrong” fingers.

6 comments for “Return of the Shred

1. 6 July 2006 at 11:21

Red and blue are the second and fourth buttons, right? You shouldn’t feel bad about sliding to hit them if you need to. That’s the way it works on a real guitar.

2. 6 July 2006 at 12:56

I wish we all lived closer! I have been itching to try out Guitar Hero’s multiplayer modes. I tried it once at a Best Buy, but I would love to have more time experimenting.

Here are a couple of pages featuring Guitar Hero “hacks” that you might find interesting if you haven’t stumbled across them already:

PixelSumo’s Collection of GH Hacks
    Freetar Hero

3. 6 July 2006 at 14:30

Thomas: I dunno, it seems “weak” not to be able to keep my ring finger out of the way so that my middle finger and pinky can press the red and blue keys. :-P

Jeff: Multiplayer is great, because I usually won. :-P

I am stuck on “Fat Lip,” “Crossroads,” and one of the other songs in Medium mode, though. :? I’m going to take a break from serious Guitar Hero playing and come back to it later to see if something sinks in. Sometimes that happens to me if I get stuck on games. I’ll drop the game for a while, come back, and suddenly it’s easier.

4. 6 July 2006 at 16:23

No, seriously. What they’re asking you to do, basically, is play a power chord–same hand shape. I’ve beat almost everything on Expert that way, because it would just be too hard to unlearn muscle memory from an actual guitar.

You’ll develop better isolation from the solos, don’t worry.

Also, the thing about hearing songs and thinking about how they would play? It’s even better with a real instrument. And look! I have a guitar I could sell you… (grin)

5. 7 July 2006 at 11:58

Interesting. I’ll try to practice more with that method, then.

Ha ha, I think a real guitar is quite a bit more complicated than Guitar Hero though. I’ll pass. :D

6. 7 July 2006 at 13:54

After I wrote that, I went back and played a little. I noticed that I do usually use the first and ring fingers for red/blue chords, but I sometimes use middle and pinky fingers for yellow/orange–Ziggy Stardust and Heart Full of Black. Depends on the situation. Hm.