Kill (or Run Away From) Zombies With Me

Role-Play OnLine has hundreds of play-by-post games of every genre you can think of, and perhaps some that you didn’t think of. I have played in a couple of short-lived D&D games on RPOL which disbanded due to the games’ participants getting too busy to play. My experiences were great. The DMs were good DMs and the players were good writers.

I am playing in a zombie game right now, with a couple of my friends, plus the GM (whom I don’t think any of us know). The setting is present-day London, and the GM is going for a Shawn of the Dead sort of feel — ordinary people put into extraordinary circumstances. The game mechanics are not rules-heavy (a relief for me, as I don’t consider myself good at memorising many rules) because the GM’s focus is on story and player creativity. We just started a couple weeks ago, and as yet there have been no hardcore zombie killings and such. There soon will be though. In game time, we are currently waking to the first day after some strange occurences in the city.

Anyway, it would be really cool if we had a couple more players. There is no pressure to post incessantly. Everyone has lives and such. Even the GM was absent last week for a few days, the game stalled for a bit, but we’re all still playing. So far the unspoken commitment has been at least one or two posts per day to keep the game going. If any of you would like to play, get a forum account at RPOL.net and send a request to join message to the GM. Upon approval, the GM will associate your forum name with an alias. This alias is your character’s name, and it will appear as such when you go to “The Dead Walk” game menu.

Anyone who is a decent writer *looks at blogroll* is especially welcome to join. With a cast like this, how could you possibly resist? I will leave you to guess which character I am playing. ;-)

10 comments for “Kill (or Run Away From) Zombies With Me

1. 19 July 2006 at 16:21

hm.

2. 19 July 2006 at 16:27

Tempted? Or have you got a guess as to who I am playing? :P

3. 19 July 2006 at 18:17

A little of both. But then, if I decided to play, it’d be more fun to not know who you were.

4. 19 July 2006 at 19:05

I won’t tell, then. But I think it’s somewhat easy…

5. 20 July 2006 at 04:17

Gah! You tempt me, evil succubus of roleplaying. The last time I got into one of these it ate my life. I’m not well-disposed to the “relaxed pace” of these things, and end up turning my posts into minor works of fine literature. And the waiting – it sucks at my brain! Never have I clicked “get new mail” so often in my mail client.

Plus, your GM probably wouldn’t let me resurrect my character from the last zombie themed game I played – Benny the Bus Driver, and his bus, “Gus”. And that would just be too bad.

6. 20 July 2006 at 06:32

Do interested parties need to have some uber-tabletop skills? The zombie theme sounds like a refreshing take, but I have not played anything resembling D&D since early in my college days.

7. 20 July 2006 at 06:52

Nope. We aren’t playing in any particular system. It’s more like a story which is written by the players bit-by-bit. Our character sheets are simply descriptions. The GM takes care of most of the “rolls”. For example, one of the characters is described as “attentive” in the character sheet. It was this character that first noticed the street lights were out across the way.

8. 20 July 2006 at 08:14

Site’s blocked at work, lest I’d be tempted as well.

9. 20 July 2006 at 08:23

Oh boo. Your work is hardcore about that!

10. 20 July 2006 at 22:21

Ooh! It does sound like fun, and I have missed so many meetups for dnd that an online thing sounds a whole lot easier than driving 30-45 minutes away!