What is Wrong With Comic Book Movies?

gatmog briefly reviews a bunch of comic book movies, and ends with a critique:

What continues to astound me is how the medium has been treated in its transfer to film. While it’s nice to see them being taken seriously as money making ventures, there comes a point where the film’s ties to the original format are permanently broken by inserting too many characters, plot contrivances or intellectually stunted lessons in morality. They’re comic books. They thrive on exposing us to fantastic things that could never be realized without multi-billion dollar budgets. The stories are already there, archived for use in any screenplay. And yet somehow the visual medium of film, including the enormous leaps and bounds the world of special effects has made, cannot seem to capture the feel of these things.

Is anyone else dreading Nicholas Cage as the Ghost Rider? The trailer before X-Men: The Last Stand was visually cool, but at the end of the day, Johnny Blaze is still being played by Nicholas Cage.

[Read]

8 comments for “What is Wrong With Comic Book Movies?

1. 6 June 2006 at 17:10

Are you complaining because Nicholas Cage doesn’t capture the visual essence of Johnny Blaze? Or are you complaining because you haven’t watched Being John Malkovic and Adaptation and seen just exactly how fantastic an actor Cage is? 8-)

2. 6 June 2006 at 17:19

Arrgh, I hated Adaptation!

Being John Malkovich was great, because Nicolas Cage wasn’t in it. ;) :D

3. 6 June 2006 at 18:09

Though Mr. Cage would not be my first choice, I have to admit I am intrigued. He is a huge Ghost Rider fan, and so there is some hope that he’ll actually respect the character and what it means to the fans rather than just picking up a paycheck.

In fact, I suspect that is how they got him in the role.

4. Bigwig
    6 June 2006 at 18:45

I saw the trailer at apple a couple weeks ago and have been dreading the movie for about a year now. the problem with comic book movies is not as complex as people seem to think. Its simple, bad casting, bad acting, bad writing, bad directing.

He makes a good point about the stories already being there, why do they have to write such terrible screenplays when the story is handed to you on a platter?

Nicolas Cage is a fantastic actor? Was he fantastic in captain corelli’s mandolin, windtalkers, con air, snake eyes, the rock, face/off (give me back my face!), or trapped in paradise? i wouldn’t know, because i wouldn’t touch those movies with a ten foot pole.

5. 7 June 2006 at 00:43

I prefer Nicolas Cage as Ghost Rider over Nicolas Cage as Superman.

And you can rip on Cage all you want, but Raising Arizona is one of the funniest movies EVER.

6. 7 June 2006 at 03:28

This is true. Nicolas Cage as Superman would have been a horror that the comic book movie genre (can it be considered a genre?) might have never recovered from. :P

7. Id
    7 June 2006 at 09:22

Bigwig: You forgot 8mm. I wish I could forget 8mm.
    Finster: Raising Arizona is great. However, it does not absolve Mr. Cage for being in shitty movies since 1998.
    Brinstar: Nicholas Cage named his child Kal-El. I don’t think he has given up on his dream of ruining the comic book movie genre. (As of right now, yes.)

8. 7 June 2006 at 22:17

Cage was fairly good in Face/Off and Raising Arizona. Yes, he does have a long line of bad movies to his name. Doesn’t mean he’s not good. He’s one of those underrated actors still recovering from some bad choices for screen appearances, much like John Goodman. Similarly, anyone watching The Good Son without having watched Home Alone would have thought Macaulay Culkin the greatest actor ever (they’d be wrong, he was still rubbish). I think the trick in assessing an actor is try to imagine what someone else would have done with the same material. It’s a great trick for understanding how truly appalling Tom Cruise really is.