X3

I saw X-Men: The Last Stand this past weekend. I enjoyed it. There were some details I didn’t like, but the details didn’t mar my enjoyment of the movie. Ever since more and more films based upon comic books have come out, I have slowly resigned myself to the fact that they will never be true to the original source material. I still liked it, though.

Warning: Spoilers below! Spoilers in the comments, too!

Things I didn’t like:

• Mystique losing her powers. Mystique is one of my favourite X-Men characters, and one of my favourite characters from the films. To have her lose her powers was just tragic. Then again, judging by the ending, I have hopes that this won’t be permanent.
  • Psylocke relegated to being a goth-punk amalgamation, with purple streaks in her hair. If they’re going to put cameos in, can’t they attempt to stay somehwat true to the character? It would have been better if Psylocke had not been in the movie at all, IMO.
  • Why was Callisto beautiful? In the comic books, her physical disfigurement is a key part of her character and her personality. This is why Callisto’s name is so great. Ugh! The difference between the Callisto of the comic book and the Callisto of the movie is massive.
  • No Nightcrawler. Why?
  • Pet peeve from the original movie: Why is Wolverine tall? Wolverine is supposed to be (approximately) 5 feet, 3 inches tall, not 6 feet, two inches tall. Hugh Jackman is a good Wolverine acting-wise, and I agree with their decision to choose him for his acting ability rather than his height. However, they could have done what those people did in the Lord of the Rings films: use camera tricks and stuff to make it seem like he is shorter.
  • Not enough Cyclops. He’s not my favourite X-Man, but the guy is one of the original four members of the team. Kind of sad that he didn’t get much screen time before his death.
  • The movie version of Dark Phoenix saga was a toothless, decrepit shadow of what it was in the books. It was less epic than the business with the cure, and that was wrong.

Things I liked:

• Kelsey Grammer as Beast — When I heard that Grammer was going to play Beast, I was so excited. I love Beast, and Grammer definitely played him very well. “Oh my stars and garters!” Classic.
  • Ian McKellan as Magneto — Before the first film, I was a little sceptical about Ian McKellan playing Magneto, because he doesn’t have the physical presence that the comic book Magneto has. However, then I realised that his physical presence is far less important his charisma as a leader, which he has in spades — just like Professor X.
  • Callisto and Storm duking it out on multiple occasions. In the comic books, Storm wins a duel against Callisto for the leadership of the Morlocks, a group of mutants living underneath New York City. It’s nice that the movie makers gave a nod to their comic book rivalry.
  • Rogue takes the cure. This is probably disappointing to Rogue fans, but I support this plot element. It makes sense.
  • A larger role for Shadowcat.

Prior to the release of the film, I read about the Dark Phoenix Saga, the Phoenix Force, and Jean Grey on Wikipedia. Wikipedia is great.

I was sad about the deaths, but they did leave it open in the end. Apparently this is the end of the trilogy, but I do hope they make more X-Men films. Supposedly a Wolverine film and a Magneto film are in the works.

I found this kind of funny: How to ruin a movie based upon a comic book via The Great Curve.

16 comments for “X3

1. Tim
    30 May 2006 at 10:01

Wow, your feelings on the movie were very much in sync with my own (http://geeknewsweek.blogspot.com/2006/05/x3-aka-xmen-last-stand-saw-it-and.html)

I didn’t mention it in my own writeup, but I found the rogue thing disappointing also. I would liked to see her oneday battle Ms. Marvel and get her full range of powers.

2. 30 May 2006 at 10:40

Saw it on Saturday. My one-line summary would be that I enjoyed the film but the screenplay needed a lot of love.

McKellan and Stewart basically made the series for me – I’m definitely a fan of both of those guys. Jackman is fun too.

3. 30 May 2006 at 10:51

When I was into comic book fandom, before there were all of these movied based upon comic books, Patrick Stewart always appeared on the list of actors they would like to see as Professor X if an X-Men movie was ever made.

4. Tim
    30 May 2006 at 11:13

re: “On deaths: don’t forget the golden rule for superhero drama – if you didn’t see them die, they’re probably not dead. Even if you did see them die, they might well not be dead. Peeved, maybe.”

Excellent point. I think we may see Cyclops again.

5. Tim
    30 May 2006 at 11:14

“Patrick Stewart always appeared on the list of actors they would like to see as Professor X if an X-Men movie was ever made.”

And a very logical choice.

6. 30 May 2006 at 11:44

I very much enjoyed X-men 3. My major nitpick (which did not detract from the overall value of the movie) was that JUGGERNAUT IS NOT A MUTANT. If the kid’s power was to negate mutants’ powers, then Juggernaut shouldn’t have been affected at all. He does not derive his power from genetic mutation, but from a magic gemstone, The Ruby of Cyttorak (safe nerd factor EXCEEDED). However, the awesomeness of Kitty Pryde trumps this and redeems the scene for me.

Also, I was disappointed with how little Rogue was involved in the end of X-men 2, and she did even LESS in X-men 3. I agree, Rogue with her full range of powers would be much more interesting and would allow her to have a more active role in the plot alongside the major characters.

7. 30 May 2006 at 11:51

Finster: Oh shite, I forgot that Juggernaut isn’t a mutie. That’s major.

TBH, I’m not really bothered about Rogue’s small role. But you guys are right that she’d be a more interesting character if the Ms. Marvel plot element was included as well.

And what about Mystique being Nightcrawler’s mother, and Rogue’s foster mother? With all three of them being in the movies, I would have thought that this could be something cool to put in. However, they don’t have time to include all the backstories and histories of the characters, and the movies seemed to be going for the epic scale rather than stuff at the inter-personal relationship level (except in some cases, like the Jean/Scott/Logan thing).

8. Andrew
    30 May 2006 at 12:35

All your statements have merit as far as being true to the property. But think about this, X3 cost around about 165 million dollars to make, and thats with the chopped up storyline. If they had included all of the other story plots it would have added hours upon hours of film “which might not be so bad” and possibly twice the amount of money to produce. Yes more content is nice but how long can you sit through a movie? Towards the end of “Return of the king” I was conpimlating suicide because the way they did it just made it drag on. Yes all this content makes true fans happy because its just like they know it but movies are for everyone and if they have to be simplified to make them enjoyable to someone who knows the name but not everything about the story, then so be it. As for things I didt like was the Juggernauts coustume, the helmet looked awful, reminded me of a cement pottery piece youd see in somones garden.

9. 30 May 2006 at 13:38

Regarding your point about the X-Men movie, I don’t think anyone disputes the fact that things have to be left out in order to tell a coherent and marketable story. It would have been nice if they remained more true to the characters though.

The end of The Return of the King did not drag on at all. None of the LOTR films did. I happily sat through three hours of each time those movies were at the cinema. The LOTR movies were simplified, with a lot of nuances left out in order to make them more enjoyable to the “mass” audience that you’re talking about, and look how well they did. You can’t simply tie up all the loose ends resulting from an epic, potentially world-ending war in ten minutes. It’s not possible, and had Peter Jackson done that, it would have been a huge disservice to the legacy of Tolkien.

10. 31 May 2006 at 03:09

It was a bit naff but still entertaining.

Didn’t like the final battle though. Soliders with hundreds of shots and Magneto with his so-called superweapon, standing around doing absolutely nothing to help. I mean seriously, the soldiers have plastic weapons. So what? Magneto can still move steel towers, cars, broken cables from the bridge… Nah, just stand around and watch your brotherhood army get “cured” for no reason and then spring into action when they’re gone. He doesn’t strike me as the kind of character to go for mutant “ethnic cleansing”.

11. 31 May 2006 at 03:28

Ironic, considering his experience in Germany during WWII.

12. 31 May 2006 at 11:08

>Nah, just stand around and watch your brotherhood army get “cured” for no reason
    Concur, this was lame. He could have stripped the bridge of bolts and shredded all the soldiers in an instant, plastic guns or no. I didn’t understand why he wanted the low-level mutants out of the picture. Was I missing something or was it just another bit of dumb writing? In fact, as my wife pointed out, since all he wanted to do was kill the boy (not capture him) and get rid of the cure he could have just dumped the bridge on the building and called it good. Magneto’s supposed to be super-smart so this was all a bit weird.

13. 31 May 2006 at 16:16

Brinstar:
    Exactly. That and all the talk about making a better world for all his brother mutants, not just the ones he likes.

Clamatius:
    I think it was shoddy writing for the sake of the battle.

Like moving the bridge was shoddy writing for the sake of the bridge-moving stunt. Dude, you broke out of prison on this awesome flying silver disc in the previous movie. Why not enclose your little mutant army in a giant metal sphere and just fly over? It’s not like they walked across the bridge or anything – they were standing at the end of it already.

14. brownalex
    9 June 2006 at 22:25

Juggernaut was hands down the best part of the movie if you dont believe me than you havnt seen this clip…

“I’m the Juggernaut bitch!!!”

I think it is awsome that they included this line