I See Virtual People

I was in Droknar’s Forge a couple weeks ago with a guildmate. He (the female Ranger/Necromancer pictured just to the right of me) wanted to sell something, and I suggested he go somewhere with a lot of people.

Dialogue (sic):

Him: see i dont see anyone becaue of the server

Me: What do you mean you dont see anyone?

I See Virtual People

The sad thing is that the comment wasn’t even taken out of context. His comment about “not seeing anyone” to sell his item to had been repeated to me a couple of times prior to him insisting that I accompany him to to Droknar’s Forge. I honestly did not believe that he could go to the town and not see a single soul. Did he mean that he was having technical problems, and couldn’t see anyone? Because the comment that he can’t see anyone “because of the server” implies technical problems. I told him that I saw loads of people, but he insisted that there was no one around. No clarification was provided for me, despite my incredulity. In the end, I had to spell out my need for clarification in very simple terms. Apparently, what he meant was that he didn’t see anyone around with English letters in their character names (with the original comment then implying that Koreans/Chinese don’t count as people???*).

* Of course, this is based upon the assumption that not every single player with Korean/Chinese characters in their names is a bot. They aren’t all bots. I was in a PUG with someone from Taiwan (I think it was Taiwan) once. We had a nice little chat in broken English.

EDIT: Apparently, my conclusion was wrong. He really thought there were people in Droknar’s Forge that he couldn’t see.

My Home District is in Europe. His Home District is in America. Because our Home Districts are different, this means that the server locations are different. Thus, we meet on International Districts in order to play. International Districts are accessible by anyone, no matter what your Home District. This is how Guild Wars players can play with friends from all around the world.

My guildmate’s statement that he didn’t see anyone “because of the server” stemmed from a basic misunderstanding of the server system in the game. He thought that when you go to an International District, you could only see people who are from your Home District, rendering a whole bunch of people “invisible” to you because you don’t share the same Home District. So, when he said that he didn’t see anyone, he thought that I saw people in town who were invisible to him. :?

6 comments for “I See Virtual People

1. 23 May 2006 at 06:09

Taiwain?

Maybe he was just assuming that he couldn’t cross the language barrier. That’s a little bit easier to forgive.

2. 23 May 2006 at 06:14

Whoops. I’m sleepy this morning.

Yes, it was the language barrier in the end, but he didn’t make it clear initially. He kept talking about “the server” and how the server made it so he couldn’t see anyone.

3. 24 May 2006 at 03:41

Hehe… Oops.

Confusion wins out over racism :)

4. 24 May 2006 at 03:48

The racism thing wasn’t something I actually believed of him, rather it was something that was implied by his muddled explanations. A lot of misunderstandings and frustrations occur in-game (and in general) because of an inability to communicate clearly on his part.

I think that saying that you don’t see anyone you can talk to because they don’t speak English is actually less comedic (because it’s more logical) than saying that there’s no one you can talk to because they’re (OMG) invisble (which doesn’t make sense at all, to me). So even with the use of my logic, my conclusion was wrong. You can imagine the “hiliarity” that occurs as a result of these sorts of situations. It’s like being in a Cary Grant comedy, but since you’re not watching it, you’re not laughing.

5. 24 May 2006 at 06:04

Oh yeah, I totally get what happened. At the beginning of every school year we’d get loads of new people, some with really strong accents. Cue many “Um… what are you talking about?” conversations and trying to find new ways of saying the same thing and double-checking for misunderstandings until we all got the hang of each other’s accents and language styles.

The one guy that everyone had the most trouble understanding for months was actually fully born and bred English. He was from Newcastle.

6. 24 May 2006 at 06:21

Ah, but that’s what I love about accents. They’re a way to make you think about your own language again.