Silent Hill the Movie

I expected entertainment, and entertainment I received. I saw it twice.

Apparently, the original script did not include any women. It was returned with the note “There are no men!” Sean Bean’s character (Chris Da Silva) was added, and then the script was later approved.

11 comments for “Silent Hill the Movie

1. 23 April 2006 at 11:36

I take it you mean included no men, right? The Boston Globe reviewer gave it 1/2 a star. Didn’t even know the ratings went that low.

2. 23 April 2006 at 18:19

Yep.

I liked Silent Hill. Captured the atmosphere of the game accurately. Environments were really cool.

3. 24 April 2006 at 08:22

Wow, I’m glad there is some positive review for it. We saw Scary Movie 4 instead because, well, it would probably at least meet expectations (which it did)

4. 24 April 2006 at 08:38

Josh: I think people who have played at least one game would get more out of it than someone who hasn’t. I’ve played Silent Hill, but not any of the others. I saw the film with two people who had played all the games, sometimes multiple times through.

I think fans of horror movies would get more out of it than people who don’t cite horror films as a favoured genre. There are chessy, contrived lines, there is melodrama, but overall, it was pretty enjoyable. It was graphic, though, which was expected.

Also, I’ve been reading comments from mainstream media reviewers who criticise the film for being confusing. I didn’t think it was confusing at all. I asked my brother, who didn’t even remeber playing Silent Hill with me (but he did) back in the day, and he didn’t think it was as confusing as reviewers thought. There were a couple of things that he wasn’t sure about, but I think he’s seen enough Japanese horror to live comfortably with uncertainty. :-P

I liked the music as well, but I haven’t been able to find the movie OST to buy (yet). The music in the game was rearranged, but still features compositions by game series producer, Akira Yamaoka. Anyway, the music in the movie is pulled from all four Silent Hill games. Though I haven’t played all of them, I did recognise a few tunes.

5. 25 April 2006 at 12:21

Some of my friends watched that movie and they said it was very scary! I am tempted to see it now, because it seems to be quite good (and I like being scared ;-)), but I haven’t played the game.

6. Dyannamika
    26 April 2006 at 02:26

I really liked the music in it as well… It was fun. Nothing that will win an oscar or anything, but as far as video game moveis go, I think it was better.

At least Uwe Bohl didn’t direct it!

7. 26 April 2006 at 19:40

No one I know has seen it yet, I’m so glad to hear that you liked it–I’m really looking foward to it (almost saw it but got stuck in a traffic jam on the way to the theater, I should have taken the subway).

8. 27 April 2006 at 16:39

“as far as video game movies go, I think it was better” – I think that is quite possibly the best “damning with faint praise” comment I’ve ever heard!-)

9. Nick
    23 August 2006 at 13:03

I think this movie was great! It’s the best video game based movie out there in my opinion. I don’t see anything wrong with it, it sticks to the game’s story enough to keep most fans happy, but it also changes it just enuogh to make them suprised at the outcome, the same and original at the same time! I really don’t think this deserves less than a perfect score.

10. 22 September 2006 at 05:56

Hi everybody!

Silent Hill has never been about action or running around shooting things; doing that would effectively destroy what made Silent Hill so darn creepy and great. In many ways, RE4 proved that you can’t have it both ways; the game simply didn’t have the atmosphere of the previous games and the gameplay got incredibly repetitive. In my humble opinion, I think the major reason for RE4’s drastic changes was because Capcom was in a financial slump at the time due to a string of high-profile flops and needed something that would appeal to Joe Average more than their fanbase. Not to mention Mikami’s less-than-intelligent prospect of releasing the remake of Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero only on the GameCube also contributed to the misguided notion that people were getting tired of the series when, the low sales of those two games can be attributed to being on a third-place machine.

I know that Silent Hill 0rigins is using an over-the-shoulder perspective, but I’m banking on it purely as a design choice considering the game is being released on a handheld. I still doubt that Konami would be silly enough to blantantly rip-off RE4 when each and every Silent Hill game has sold quite well on its own. I doubt money would be an issue since they also create the Metal Gear games, which is practically a liscense to print money.