Curse You, GameStop

Right. Pissed off now. The Guild Wars: Factions Collector’s Edition has been delayed. This has been known for about a week. GameStop and EB Games have been instructed to tell their customers that the CE will not be available on the 28th of April. Looking on various message boards and forums has confirmed this information. Just rang my GameStop, and I’m not guaranteed a copy because they were not provided a SKU for it. I should never have trusted them. Not only may I not get a CE, but I won’t even get to play Factions on the day of release if I do manage to get my hands on a CE. They say that I can wait and see if they get any Collector’s Editions in with their shipment. Yeah… No.

Now I’m looking at various online places, hoping that one will allow me to place an order for the CE. ArenaNet instructed all retailers to pull listings of the CE from their sites. I think demand has been higher than they expected. I want that Collector’s Edition! eBay…?

EDIT: Right. Placed my order with CompUSA, but feeling very pessimistic about their ability to provide me with a Collector’s Edition, knowing that it’s possible that they may say “Sorry, we neglected to tell you that we don’t have enough copies to ship to all of our customers. You are out of luck”.

Well, at least I’ll be able to play the Factions content from tomorrow until Sunday, because I’ve got the pre-order pack. I’m still pissed off that the rest of my guildmates will be playing Factions ahead of me. Yeah, I could get the standard edition, and I suppose this part is my fault because I “have” to have the Collector’s Edition. *sigh*

Yes, I am complaining because I may not get what I want. So?

EDIT: After this shit, and the other shit I went through with my pre-order for Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, I don’t think I ever want to use a bricks-and-mortar store to reserve games ever again.

10 comments for “Curse You, GameStop

1. Id
    27 April 2006 at 06:26

That’s just because your store is run by chimpanzees and n00bs. I think we went over this.

2. 27 April 2006 at 06:36

This from the GW website about the CE: “In truth, it appears that we underestimated the demand and manufactured too few copies.”

Ummm, isn’t that what pre-ordering is all about? Figuiring out how many units you need to ship ahead of time???

They are going to ship the CE on JUNE 30th. So who is going to want one then?

I pre-ordered the regular version through Amazon, and it was supposed to arrive two days ago. It hasn’t arrived yet, so obviously they didn’t even get the regular versions of the game out on time either. They have extended the head start event to compensate the slow delivery. Sounds like poor planning all around.

3. 27 April 2006 at 06:39

Oh, and since we are complaining about GW: It looks like they have nerfed the Necromancer Minion Master by limiting the number of minions you can have going at a time. BAH!

4. 27 April 2006 at 07:07

Id: I should never trust people. Ever.

GL: Yeah, what a trade-off, eh? I guess I’ll see whether CompUSA pulls through for me for the first batches of CEs. If they don’t… I don’t know. I might just wait… :?

I guess the MM nerf was coming soon. But the changes do make sense. For skilled players, the number of minions they could keep on the field was ridiculous. Then again, I don’t usually do the MM thing, so it doesn’t affect me as much. Curses and Domination FTW!

5. 27 April 2006 at 10:28

Actually, the # of minions “nerf” doesn’t really make much difference – you can have 2x your Death Magic and any MM will have 16 in Death anyway. The much bigger nerf was to Verata’s Sacrifice, which is the main thing a MM uses to keep the minions up.

Hopefully I’ll get my CE but I have a nasty feeling I won’t. We shall see.

6. 27 April 2006 at 10:42

About the only brick and mortar I visit for games is Best Buy, and only because it’s wildly convenient in location and usually only for stuff I’m not terribly concerned about since I can never trust them to have anything or know anything about what they do have.

7. 27 April 2006 at 14:30

Oops. I misread the tweak. It will make a big difference – it’s 2 + [1 minion per 2 ranks of Death], not the other way round. So you’re capped at 10 minions max. That’s pretty bad.

8. 31 May 2006 at 20:59

Now that it’s out-what do you think? Personally, I love it. Very addicitng and I highly enjoy the new character creation menus.