On the Edge of Oblivion

The internet has become “that thing to talk about Oblivion with”* and people will likely continue buzzing about it for a few weeks (or months). I don’t have The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. For various reasons, I’m probably not going to buy it. I have never played most of those other supposedly “must play” games like Diablo, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, etc. WOW? I’ve played about 5 hours worth of WOW since I got it last Christmas.

Troy says:

The sum effect of the gaps in my gaming shelf is that sometimes I have very little to talk about. I really enjoy vicarious pleasure, mind you. The enthusiasm of others is pretty easy to get caught up in. And, one very good friend excepted, most people I trust are pretty enthusiastic about Oblivion. But I’m on the outside. I can’t ask good questions about the game. I can’t answer good questions about the game.

I survived middle school as a wallflower. This too will pass.

Until I find more time to play games (doubtful), I don’t think I will get involved with long-winded, free-roaming, sandbox-type RPGs, no matter how pretty they are, and how much the critics rave. I will have to live vicariously through all the gamers around me who are currently obsessed with this game. No doubt I’ll be getting an earful of Oblivion at Sunday’s D&D game, as I’m told that every single person there last week (except one) had played it.

*I can’t for the life of me remember where I read this quote.

12 comments for “On the Edge of Oblivion

1. 29 March 2006 at 13:30

I did buy Oblivion over the weekend. I did not like Morrowind much, but this new game sucked me in pretty good. I wonder how long the “Oblivion Obsession” will last for me. All other games now await for my return. My brother also got it at the same time, but he is a pretty hardcore WoW player. He decided to briefly check out Oblivion right before turing in for sleep and the next time he looked at the clock it was 5 hours later.

2. 29 March 2006 at 14:40

I rather liked Morrowind, but I know Oblivion will be such a time-sucker that it’s not in the stars right now. Maybe this summer. I’m in no real rush.

I did remember that once after getting axed from my job, I decided to spend a two day vacation just roaming Morrowind. That was. Dorky. But fun.

3. 30 March 2006 at 04:10

Oh come on Brin! Don’t you want your very own unicorn?

4. 30 March 2006 at 05:24

I’ll wait ’till it’ll run under WINE… or the price drops. Whichever comes first.

5. 30 March 2006 at 11:32

Wow, I can’t believe I’ve found a group of people who aren’t enamored with this game. I’m not sure if it’s surprising or just disappointing… Compared to Oblivion, Morrowind is but a notion of a game. The internet become a tool with which to talk about Oblivion is really a mixed blessing. Sure the game’s great, but now I have to dodge every post because I don’t want spoilers about mundane things in the game.

6. 30 March 2006 at 12:12

Oh, I want it, Jeffool… I just don’t want to venture into Winders territory to get it. Also, I have yet to enjoy a Elder Scrolls game… I’d like Oblivion to prove that statement wrong, but I’m sceptical and in very little hurry to have it do so. The last thing I need in my newly DS-bestowed schedule right now is another obsession.

7. 30 March 2006 at 12:40

Jeffool: I haven’t played any of the Elder Scrolls games, so perhaps I just don’t know what I’m missing. For the time being, I will never know, and that’s fine with me. :-)

8. 30 March 2006 at 15:11

Brin, Just taklked to Gunch, Sunday is going to be a big Lanparty and all of us playing Oblivion.

9. Id
    31 March 2006 at 06:37

LoL, Joe. I don’t know if Brinstar really needs to be playing Oblivion, I think Planescape: Torment needs to be finished first.

10. 31 March 2006 at 06:57

Enemies from all sides!

Id: I have a plan for Torment. When I get my laptop (the one I want is being released in mid/late April, which is cool because that gives me more time to save money), I’ll spend my lunch hour playing that. However, I will be training my FPS skillz in Metroid Prime: Hunters in the mean time, because there’s a tournament: http://blog.pjsattic.com/corvus/2006/03/spring-tournie-of-bloggers/

11. 31 March 2006 at 08:04

Speaking of Metroid. Have they made that movie yet?

12. 31 March 2006 at 08:06

Maybe I should look before I say anything. The Metroid Movie is still in development phase and John Woo is producing it and might direct. No story or casting has been done yet.