DS on the Brain

On the flight out of San Jose on Saturday, I struck up a conversation with the guy sitting next to me on the plane. He had his PSP and he was playing a Splinter Cell Siphon Filter game that he downloaded at the Sony booth at the GDC. We talked about games, what he does (videogame music composer), etc. He let me play Mario Kart DS (which rocks), showed me his Animal Crossing town (yard full of weeds, and house full of cockroaches).

He also let me play Meteos. Meteos is addictive! I love it! It only took me a few seconds to understand what I was supposed to do, but after that I was hooked. Falling blocks own me.

I’m tempted to buy a DS and then trade the DS in for a DS Lite when it’s released. There is the looming spectre of Metroid Prime: Hunters as well as all the other games that I can play with you games bloggers via NiWiFi. I’ve been resisting this temptation for months. I’m going to crack soon, I think. If the totally unsubstantiated and unfounded rumour I heard at the GDC is true, then I will have to wait until Summer to get a DS Lite. Meanwhile there are a few months of DS gaming I could get in before the DS Lite’s release.

Oh, and having played some Brain Age at the GDC, I will also give this game my stamp of approval. I didn’t expect solving basic mathematical problems as quickly as possible to be entertaining, but it was. No, I didn’t get a copy of Brain Age after the Nintendo keynote. I was in the queue to see Will Wright‘s keynote.

I thought it was a masterful ploy for Nintendo to distribute free DS games after Iwata’s keynote. Not only will it allow players to spread their experiences of the game prior to the release in April, but it also lured people out of the auditorium so that the people outside could get decent seats for Will Wright’s talk.

18 comments for “DS on the Brain

1. 28 March 2006 at 10:28

Give in! Buy one! One of us. One… of… us…

2. 28 March 2006 at 11:36

… one of us … one … oh.

Logic and kindness haven’t seemed to work on you – so I’ll just throw down. I’ve got Metroid: Hunters in a bag in the car and clearly the only reason you’ve got for not running out and getting a DS and facing the rest of us in combat is pure and simple fear…. pure and simple ….

Hehe. Actually, I don’t know what I’d do in your place. I was going to wait for the DS’s second rev myself until The Brother showed an interest in getting one and then the wifi temptation was really too great. Now I’ll probably get DS Lite so that The Girl and I don’t have to fight for custody of Animal Crossing whenever there isn’t anything good on TV.

I think though, if I was in your shoes, Hunters would have made me crack anyway. I’ve been missing decent FPS MP, and UT2004 doesn’t do it for me anymore.

3. 28 March 2006 at 11:52

Um… So, I’m on eBay right now, trying to win myself a used DS with Animal Crossing. :-P

4. 28 March 2006 at 12:03

My first DS was a Craigslist buy. Super cheap. Just so you know…

5. 28 March 2006 at 13:25

Brinstar I could use another friend on the WFC. Metroid Brinstar … how can you resist?

Not a bad price at walmart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3610979&sourceid=13668758992027398963

And if you simply can’t wait

By the way, I just was sent a copy of Brain Age to review. I wasn’t so sure about this one, but after giving it a go last night it was pretty entertaining and challenging, too. Supposedly you can do a 16 DS math competition … now if only I knew 16 gamers in my neighborhood.

With that in mind, I’m looking forward to picking up a DS lite so I can have two. There have been a few times where it would have been fun to get some multiplayer going with friends and family who don’t have one.

6. 28 March 2006 at 14:27

Looks like these game conferences are dangerous, we all walk away and want to buy stuff! I’ve been resisting the DS for a long time – Brain Age seemed really fun from what I saw of it at GDC, but not fun enough to convince me to give in.

And I definitely appreciated that game-giveaway-ploy that let us get such good seats to Will Wright’s talk! Yay for some good planning there.

7. 28 March 2006 at 19:20

Josh: Oh dude, I am so going to own you. Once I get some practice.

Seth: If I wasn’t away for the GDC, I doubt I would have been able to resist this long! An extra DS for friends and family to play with. Yeah… Yeah! Brilliant!

8. 29 March 2006 at 05:56

Incidently, was he enjoying the Splinter Cell game? I saw a used copy at the shop yesterday and considering picked it up.

MP: Hunters is on my April buy list, so we’ll have to arrange a Gaming Blog tournament this summer. Who’s in? I’ll set it up and offer prizes!

9. 29 March 2006 at 06:11

You’re on Brin … once .. I … get some practice and figure out what all these powerups are and find a control mechanism which doesn’t hurt and learn some maps and find some cheat codes …. :P

I got whomped on last night. :(

10. 29 March 2006 at 06:21

Corvus: Well, to be fair the guy on the plane is a huuuge Splinter Cell fan. It’s his fave videogame series. So yeah, he was enjoying it. If you like the sneaking around, then the series might be entertaining.

Ooh, prizes. I can donate some GDC swag. Everything on the URLs below is fair game except the cups, the socks, and certain shirts (which I have already promised to people — so not the AMD or Dell XPS shirts). I also have a Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Xbox 360 faceplate.

The Brain Age shirts are Men’s Small. The Game Videos shirt is Men’s XL. The GDC 2006 “What’s Next” and the Buena Vista Games (BVG) shirts are both Women’s XL.

11. 29 March 2006 at 06:29

What kind of Wallpaper is that? it kinda clashes with the Carpet…

12. 29 March 2006 at 07:11

Krazijoe: It’s something that I didn’t pick. Dude, you just like winding me up. LOL. :?

13. 29 March 2006 at 10:46

Corvus: Sign me up for the tournament.

14. 29 March 2006 at 11:59

You have been seduced by the pleasures of Meteos. A simple trap to fall into and one which will bring many hours of enj0yment. Join the Lite side I say.

15. Patrick
    29 March 2006 at 14:57

Yes! I’ve only recently caught onto the wonderful design potentials and largely casual market of the DS, just in time to start a game for the platform. Its good to see the gospel ringing around the blogosphere.

I’ll definetly add you to my blogroll, in a just a second.

And then I’m going to get back to work on that design doc.

16. Patrick
    29 March 2006 at 15:00

And you’re displacing Eric Zimmerman on my blogroll.

17. 29 March 2006 at 15:33