Start: Pokemon Fire Red

I like Pokemon. The first game I played was Pokemon Blue for the GameBoy. Loads of fun, let me tell you. I just happened to get Pokemon Blue over the Christmas holiday, and my boyfriend at the time, unbeknownst to me, had got Pokemon Red. Of course, this meant that we had to trade pokemon. Loads of fun, let me tell you.

I think me, my ex-boyfriend, and one of his flatmates were amongst the few (university students) who would admit to liking the game (and the anime). I recall that his friend had some sort of opinion on Pikachu that my ex disagreed with. They both heatedly and rather animatedly debated their perspectives on Pikachu. I forgot what it was about, but I remember it being really funny. Good times, dope rhymes.

Oh, and his friend had a talking Psyduck plush toy, which I was extremely jealous of. So last year, I stumbled upon a similar plush Psyduck on eBay, and I had to get it (of course). It’s not exactly the same one, but it’s Psyduck, and I like Psyduck. It’s so cute!

Since then, I haven’t picked up another Pokemon game. Now I am starting Pokemon Fire Red. I’ve played about an hour into it, and I’m determined to own Toru (the name I have given to my rival; sounds better than ‘Gary’, doesn’t it?).

Oh wait. I remember what the drunken Pikachu argument was about. They were arguing whether or not a glowing Pikachu keychain was cooler than a talking Pikachu keychain. My ex argued that his glowing (but silent) Pikachu keychain was much cooler because it glowed. His friend, who was the only inebriated one, argued that his talking (but not glowing) plush Pikachu keychain was cooler because it talked.

I had to side with the talking keychain. Someone gave me one of them, and it’s really cool. It says “Pikachu!” and “Pi Pikachu!” — which you have to admit is far more impressive than a blinking bit of plastic.

8 comments for “Start: Pokemon Fire Red

1. Dyannamika
    9 June 2005 at 02:47

I also have a soft-spot for Pokemon. Aaah. And since I’m playing leaf green at the moment…

weeelll, I guess you’ll just have to bring it later.

I’ve found my faves so far are Meowth, Pikachu and Jiggly Puff. They are bad-ass.

2. Anonymous
    9 June 2005 at 04:08

Ehem the plastic looked like Pikachu the plush did not. Ergo not a Pikachu but a giant distended voice box…

3. 9 June 2005 at 04:15

Yes, this was one of the prevailing counter-arguments. :-D

You know what? I can’t actually remember what my position was now that I think of it. Did I really favour the talking Pikachu over the glowing one? The evening is a blur now. And I wasn’t even drinking.

4. 9 June 2005 at 04:22

Well I dont know, what your stance was, probably on the side of truth and reason. It seems all a but surreal…

5. 9 June 2005 at 06:36

Surreal debates weighing the relative merits of Pokemon merchandise are the best and most amusing kinds of debates to have.

6. 9 June 2005 at 07:19

Gotta get em all…talk about honest corporate greed. But damn was it fine.

7. 26 September 2005 at 08:48

I really liked the information on Pokemon, great job! I have my own Pokemon Exposed blog if you would like to come and see what I have on mine.

8. kai
    18 March 2007 at 13:14

hey, i couldn’t help over reading your blog, and i must say even though Pokemon is pretty much “gay”, i have to admit that i do have a gameboy advance game of it. i am 14 and i admit it was a whole new experience when i got it 2 years ago. leaf green. it was an awesome game, and me and my friends still play it to day! i still haven’t beaten it, im ashamed my friend’s 8 year old cousin has, i only own 307 Pokemon after 2 freaking years! this game is a trap, once you play it you can’t stop playing Pokemon until you pretty much catch em’ all. dammit, i want to end it, but the trading and battling is so cool. if only they could put these concepts into games whose names haven’t been shot or put down. my point is everyone who has ever played these games is lying out of their asses if they say Pokemon is gay or i don’t like it anymore.